Sailboat Deck cleaner/treatment

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Just spent a couple days cleaning and waxing the hull of our sailboat. I used Meguiars 50. Came out great! Now, for the deck of our 38' boat. What do you recommend for the gelcoat on the deck? I not sure if I want to put the Meguiars 50 on it, as it may be too slippery and a little dangerous.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Jul 26, 2009
. . .
If it's non-skid, read up on Woody Wax. Very good results if you follow the instructions to the letter.

If it's just smooth gel coat w/o the need for traction, we use Collinite 885 after a 3M cleaner/wax application.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
For non-skid Star Brite- Nonskid Deck Cleaner wither PTEF.
I second this recommendation. Use with the Shurhold soft bristle deck brush, but let the Star Brite cleaner soak and it will do the majority of the work. Some wax following the wash and subsequent cleanup will be much easier.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I use the StarBrite deck cleaner because it works great on bird and spider poop spots. Then I use the Woody's Wax on the nonskid areas and Collinite everywhere else.

Sep 11, 2019
Hunter 386 Lake St. Clair
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like we'll need to get some StarBrite deck cleaner. How about managing spiders? I heard bounce sheets work pretty good.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Thanks for the input guys. Looks like we'll need to get some StarBrite deck cleaner. How about managing spiders? I heard bounce sheets work pretty good.
The only thing I found effective for spiders is Ortho Home Defense from the big box stores. Super effective on the little buggers. One application will last about two months depending on how much rain you get. It's very toxic to aquatic life, so be as careful as you can about over spray in to the water. Spray around the dock and walkways too.

Moth balls in the mainsail folds will keep the mud wasps from building nests under the cover. Put them is a cotton cloth bag instead of loose.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Also Starbrite Deck cleaner. I emailed a rep at Shurhold several years ago after struggling getting the non-skid to come clean. She recommended their stiff brush and used it on her own fishing boat in FLA, with the same diamond non-skid and even sent me a pic. I went with the medium brush and made a huge difference from the soft brush I had been using.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Starbrite non skid cleaner followed up with Starbrite nonskid deck wax. I used Woody wax for years. Works well but switched to the Starbrite nonskid wax last year. Seems to last longer and is less expensive. I also use the Starbrite marine wax with PTEF for the rest of the boat. Best I've found. For cleanups at the slip, Amazing Rolloff. It really is amazing...better than the boat washes and leaves a bit of a protective film behind on the deck. For spiders either Ortho defense or Spectracide spray. That's all my closely guarded secrets.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have never had any issue with slipperiness on my non-skid deck. I've used Boat soap, car wash soap, and Starbrite wash.
However, hands down, the best product I have found is Orpine Wash & Wax. 1 ounce makes 3 gallons of wash. A cap-full makes a gallon. This stuff cleans really well- takes off the gray shadows of grime. Pleasant smell. A quart is about $22-24, will last me easily 5+ years.
406931-Orpine-Orpine-Wash-Wax-Quart_0.jpg

• Helpful
Nov 2, 2008
Beneteau 331 Chicago (DuSable)
How about managing spiders? I heard bounce sheets work pretty good.
Home Depot carries "Miss Mupits Revenge" seriously that's the name. Very handy spray bottle with remote sprayer connected with the tube. It actually last for a few months. Bounce sheets I think kind of work but not sure if really do or we think they do.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Home Depot carries "Miss Mupits Revenge" seriously that's the name. Very handy spray bottle with remote sprayer connected with the tube. It actually last for a few months. Bounce sheets I think kind of work but not sure if really do or we think they do.
I think softener sheets work against spiders, but for sure they stop wasps from nesting in my mailbox. I put a couple sheets in the back of my mailbox in the spring and have no wasps all season. My mailman likes it!

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
If you spray the non-skid with Clorox Cleaner with Bleach and allow to just sit, you will find things mighty clean after the next rain shower or if you hose it off say 4-6 hours later. Try so this on an overcast day so it does not evaporate too quickly.

Jul 8, 2005
Jeanneau 389 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
If you spray the non-skid with Clorox Cleaner with Bleach and allow to just sit, you will find things mighty clean after the next rain shower or if you hose it off say 4-6 hours later. Try so this on an overcast day so it does not evaporate too quickly.
True, but bleach also gets rid of any wax.....