Sailboat converted to . . . trawler?

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
Back in August this year when I was looking for Catalina 22's for sale I came across a CL ad for one in FL I think. An older gent had taken the rig off and built the cabin up to a standing interior height. It looked horrible and he was asking $7K for it!
Well, there's thinking outside the box then there's bizzaro world . . . .

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Know a guy who took a Morgan of about 40', hurricane salvage and cut part of the keel off. Found a mast of about 25' plus boom which allowed for use of a steady sail plus boom crane for dink. Seemed to work well.

Feb 9, 2015
Columbia 22 yacht Texas
I am in the process to change a sailboat to a powerboat

Check my albums. You'll see pics of it. Opinions and critics welcome.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
About 6 years ago, a young man and his buddies took off one evening from A-Dock in Dana Point in an old Cat 22.

Right turn out of A Dock channel points you to the harbor entrance. Left turn = about a 50 foot path to the well-lighted bridge over the harbor.

Well, I was sitting in my cockpit casually watching the cigarettes glow aboard the passing sailboat, and then all I could say was, "Oh sh!t, he turned lef"....BANG!

That mast came down like a birthday candle in soft icing.

I then saw the boat around for months, no rig but a respectable hole in the top deck, being motored about the harbor for whatever recreation the ol' boy could get out of it.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Maybe... but.

Sailboats hullforms are designed with the stability their rigs give them in mind. Even with the sails down, a sailboat is MUCH more kindly with its rig in place. I would not want to go far on a sailboat sans its rig.
Having been on-board a boat that was dis-masted I can attest that the motion of a sailboat without a stick is AWFUL!!! The masts dampens the speed with which the hull rolls remove the spar and it becomes a carnival ride.....

Feb 9, 2015
Columbia 22 yacht Texas
The first and second images are from one angle as are the third and forth from another. These were just ideas.
Oh. WOW! Pure inspiration! Great job and awesome idea with the top lid. I believe I'm doing mine like it but hydraulic powered. That is the best looking conversion I have seen so far! Thank You for sharing!