Sailboat being build...or born

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
Solina 27 Wabamun, Alberta
While this is not my boat, nor I know the owner of this vessel, these photos have been posted on another forum showing progress of semi-custom build-up of Phobos 25 sailiboat at the factory.

It all starts as an empty hull

The white ring on the port is the chimney for Truma forced air heating system

Heater unit in the cockpit locker

Interior, long way to go

This will become the galley

Main cabin

Enclosed head, I guess on the right hand side of it a fuse panel will be installed

V-berth with heating duct visible on the left

Transducer and speed sensor??

To be continued....

Oct 6, 2008
Hunter, Island Packet, Catalina, San Juan 26,38,22,23 Kettle Falls, Washington
This is a very interesting posting. Please keep it going if possible. Where is it being built?
Ray

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
I shall post more as more information becomes available. The owner of this boat visits the boat yard every so often and takes photographs of the progress of construction. The boat is being build, I assume, at the Dalpol Yachts in Poland.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks for posting that, its very cool to see. Its interesting to see the low-volume production techniques used in the yard.. I'm sure the build quality is fine but its very labor intensive. Instead of pre-finished parts and assemblies, wood and wire is being cut to length and size inside the boat! Also the deck went on very early, most more production-oriented yards its one of the last thing that happens. With the deck off work inside is much easier.

That they can be cost effective vis-a-vis the big European yards is I assume a testimony to the lower cost of production (labor and to a lesser degree raw materials) in Poland.

Bosman

Oct 24, 2010
I am not sure about an annual production from this builder (they offer boats in 19-29ft range). I would imagine they have jigs/templates etc for standard setup boats. What in my opinion is very nice is fact the company is extremely flexible to suit customer's needs. You don't want 'standard' finish, no problem!

Below is photograph of 'standard' Phobos 25. Simple, ergonomic, light swing keel, elegant (my opinion - I like wood).

Here is a very same boat with interior arrangement customised for an individual customer, with completely different layout (I love the hidden laptop/documents compartment). I absolutely love it!

So what I am trying to say here, is when it comes to a non-standard configuration when all the pieces are already pre-measured, there are times when extra length of wire is simply needed ;-) Is it time consuming? For sure. Another polish boat builder, Delphia, has policy of no changes whatsoever. You get the boat as in the brochure. You don't like it? Well, that is when you talk to someone else who will be happy to take your money. Myself, I would get a boat customised to my needs.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Fun pictures again!

My only point; custom costs. In the USA a semi-custom builder would be the likes of Sabre, and they cost 50% more than a comparable Beneteau, where you pick option 'packs' from pre-designed configurations. In the sub-30 foot market I'd guess that the number of people willing to pay to have a sailboat the 'way they want it' (and PAY for that) is very small.

They all are very cool boats. Would be great to see them in the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.