Sailboat aground off Fire Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
Le Papillon, a sailboat en route from Maryland to Maine,ends up on the beach near the village of Saltaire in Fire Island yesterday

Attachments

AXEL

Mar 12, 2008
Catalina C30 MKIII WEST ISLIP, NY
How does this happen? It wasn't foggy yesterday and even if it was, watch your dept sounder. Engine problems, use the sail. Sail problems use the engine. He was so close to the inlet if there was trouble help could have arrived in minutes. Stupidity!

Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
I know that boat. She's spent the past few summers on a mooring at Portland Yacht Services. She's a steel Colvin pinky so there's a good chance she will survive this.

I've seen people aboard but she doesn't seem to leave the mooring much and I haven't seen her under sail.

Sad but I wouldn't give up on her yet.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
I'm thinking someone fell asleep on watch

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
looks like an old drawing to me.....Is this april fools or just a bad photo......Red

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
It's a real boat, I recognize her from seeing her almost daily for 2-3 years. The photo is probably a scan from a wrinkled newspaper.
It wasn't wrinkled just a lot of ink from the other side bleeding thru.....I looked on line at the newspapers web site but could not find the picture so I did the next best thing......this is no April fools joke....a sailboat beached is nothing to joke about

xsiddr

Jun 14, 2009
BENETEAU 361 Worton Creek, MD
This is incredible. This is the same boat that ran onto the shoals at Great Egg Harbor Inlet (Longport, NJ) last week. Two Coast Guard helicopters and Sea Tow were involved. They eventually sailed off. The reality is our inlet is extremely dangerous, is notorious for problems. On the day they got stuck, no one in their right mind would have attempted passage. The waves were breaking all across the entry. SeaTow tried hailing them multiple times to warn them but they never responded. This is toooooo wierd. Makes one wonder what is going on.
xsiddr

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
This is the same boat that ran onto the shoals at Great Egg Harbor Inlet (Longport, NJ) last week. ...On the day they got stuck, no one in their right mind would have attempted passage. ... This is toooooo wierd. Makes one wonder what is going on.
Insurance ploy, maybe? :doh:

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
The plot thickens.......maybe an inexperienced captain cause the Fire Island light is right there not to far from where they beached but the inlet is a few miles west

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
I helped a friend with a sea trial on a new Sea Ray today and I was hoping to stop at Saltaire but we ran out of time, thanks for the link Roger

Apr 2, 2011
Morgan Morgan Ketch 416 Moriches, NY
I saw this boat the day it happened. Lots of rumors, cannot confirm that they are all true. Story as I heard it was they were going from Maryland to Maine. Heard the 19 year old Captain took the boat without permission from his dad. Supposedly he tied up the helm and went below to sleep. Now I don't know about all of you, but that just sounds like bad seamanship to me. I've been sailing the waters off Long Island literally all my life. We have huge ships that transit our area in the Ambrose Shipping Channel. Besides violating 72 COLREGS Rule 5 of maintaining a proper look-out this kid destroyed his fathers boat. I really hope they are able to come up with a way to get her off the beach and restore her. It sounds like this boat has a lot of history, and I would hate to see her story end as a wreck. I have a picture i took the day it happened, but I cant figure out how to post it.

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Its been a week now and I'd like to know what happens to a wreck like this? who removes it and is the owner responsible for the cost or does it fall into the cracks and just rots on the beach
Can any one salvage it?

Status
Not open for further replies.