Sailboat agreement with dealer

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I’m not sure if this is the best place to post, but since the folks on here seem to know everything when I ask…. I’m thinking of moving up to a larger new boat (38ft) and my local dealer advised that if I kept the boat in their area (Annapolis - I’m in Baltimore) they would work something out that would be of benefit to me. Having never done this I have no clue what they would / could give and would like to negotiate from a point of knowledge. Anyone have any ideas on what I could be asking for and possibly getting? Many thanks for any insight.

Dec 29, 2017
It would allow them to take potential buyers for the next sale onto the boat. It’s a brand new model so nothing else to demo. I could ask for a residual on sales, but I don’t think that they would agree on those terms. :)

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Pay your moorage or a % thereof ? He may be able to get a cut rate where he is. That's worth $11K+ here.

Moorage 2001.jpg

Dec 29, 2017
That’s what I’m thinking - hopefully they’ll go for it. Thanks Ralph.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Include stipulation to prohibit test sails.
:plus: test sails AKA sea trial should ONLY be done after a buyer signed a contract subject to survey and sea trial.
Perhaps the reason they want it near is it's easier for the broker to show if closer to their office. No issue with that.

Dec 29, 2017
:plus: test sails AKA sea trial should ONLY be done after a buyer signed a contract subject to survey and sea trial.
Perhaps the reason they want it near is it's easier for the broker to show if closer to their office. No issue with that.
From what the dealer mentioned, it’s going to be available for them to show potential buyers, nothing regarding taking it away from the slip or starting the engine. What’s the cockpit like, headroom in berths, etc. I’m thinking that it’s probably worth reduction in their margin to have the boat pre-sold now (especially since it didn’t sell at Boat Show) and some type of split on dock fees.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
From what the dealer mentioned, it’s going to be available for them to show potential buyers, nothing regarding taking it away from the slip or starting the engine. What’s the cockpit like, headroom in berths, etc. I’m thinking that it’s probably worth reduction in their margin to have the boat pre-sold now (especially since it didn’t sell at Boat Show) and some type of split on dock fees.
If it’s not in writing, it doesn’t exist.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
When we moved up to our Oceanis 34 we worked with the local broker who sold our previous boat, and treated it as a trade-in, that saved us a decent amount on sales tax on the purchase of our new boat. From our perspective, every dollar matters.

If you're ordering a new boat from them, review every detail and feature over and over again... if a thought or a question pops into your head, then ask question of the dealer. We caught an option that we thought was a standard feature (a teak cockpit sole). We ended up paying for it, but it wasn't an unreasonable expense. And if we hadn't asked, it would have made me mad, FOREVER, to have seen it in literally every promotional photo ever taken of our model and not had it on our boat... We also ended up getting a thing or two that we hadn't expected. But that may have been because our hull was (perhaps) the last of its line to be built, maybe the only engine that they had on hand already had a high output alternator as a part of the assembly... I'll take it...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
When we considered a new boat, the dealer, was offering 3-4 year day charter their captain only, all slip fees, all maintenance, weekly cleaning and covered insurance. It was a $350k 44' boat so was a very good deal. In the end I took my down-payment and bought out 310 no financing instead and local lake.