Sailability of the Hunter 42

AWW

Jul 14, 2016
Hunter 340 ABYC
I have a Hunter 340 with a 6 ft draft and large rudder that sails to windward very well. I'm interested in comments regarding how the Hunter center cockpit boats fair going to weather, especially the Passage 42.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Belle-Vie does nicely to weather down to about 25 degrees, then she begins to lose power. I can pinch to about 20 degrees, but after that air flow starts to detach from the sails whereby she slows fast.

We purchased her in 2002 and have sailed her solo thousands of miles all over PNW waters. Fast, stiff and very comfortable. No regrets and would do it all over again, and again...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
You are welcome. Try to find one that has the following optional equipment:

8kw Onan Genset
Autohelm 7000 linear drive motor with 6000 head
MarineAir Heat pumps: 16,000 BTU main cabin; 9,000 BTU aft cabin
Diesel Furnace

Also check out the following link: http://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=model&mid=45&mn=42

Belle-Vie had this equipment when we purchased her, plus all the other standard features. Heat pumps come in handy during the winter while hooked up to shore power. I added the furnace for off season and winter cruising. Genset comes in handy for extended (two month) cruises where we prefer anchoring as opposed to marina life.

AWW

Jul 14, 2016
Hunter 340 ABYC
Thanks again Terry - that sounds like good advice for Great Lakes cruising.

May 11, 2016
Hunter Passage 42 Jensen Beach
We Love our's! She does go to windward good and she is a fast boat for what she weighs.
Dean

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
i love mine also. Interestingly, last season i went out with a friend from the marina who has a Jenneau 42 DS- we were both sailing our won boats in pretty light wind . I received a phone cal from my friend and when i answered he said "dont talk for a minute- just hold the phone out in front of you" ,I wondered what was going on, then after a little bit- asked him- he said he was sure I had my motor running as I was pulling away from him and he has a slippery lighter boat- so that should NOT happen- he wasn't happy !
Yes- very happy with my H42- actually I have never come across an owner who wasn't totally happy with theirs!

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Really like ours and the back deck is a great place to relax under sail and at anchor.. My kids have threated to never sail with me again if I get a different boat

Zaya

Jul 22, 2014
Hunter Passage 42 Providence, RI
As I said in other thread: "The one and only!" Love my HP 42!