Sail trim short course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
The tips in the book worked! Out sailed a much larger boat sporting racing numbers today. His comment was, "Kicked my butt all over the place out there." Glad he was good natured about it. Nice having a lesser boat out point, reach and run what should have been no contest. Thanks Don.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Someone mentioned some of the videos at youtube in an earlier thread. I check several of them out and they ranged from really good to some real sleepers. The ones by Northsails were excellent. Check them out.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
25yearslater: Crank a little bit more on the jib halyard to get rid of the "scallops". You want the front of the jib to be like a fine, sharp blade cutting through the wind.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
I noticed that and have that corrected. Thanks. Sailing well isn't so hard and it sure adds to the fun. Still have to read the downwind online section. I will do that caguy. Thanks for the information. This old gal still has a lot of good years ahead of her. Homeland Security guys said it was the best looking old boat they had ever seen. Of course if she can't dance it would be just another pretty gal.

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
25yearslater: I think your from the Rochester, NY area. In the early 70's I lived outside of Syracuse (Marcellus) for 7 years. I sure hated those winters!! I was then transferred to So Ca and arrived there in Feb -- had to follow a plow to get to the Syracuse airport. When I landed in LA it was 80 degrees and the Palm trees were waving in the breeze. I thought I had died and gone to heaven but after another 7 years they wanted to transfer me to Seattle (too much rain for me) or Buffalo, NY!! I declined both and they fired me. So Ca (Orange county) was great in those day -- it wasn't too crowded and everyone spoke English and you could read all the signs. Tucson fits me just fine as it's not too crowded and plus I was always comfortable on the deck of a boat or the back of a horse.

Anyway, I digress. Isn't a great feeling to be able to sail your boat to 100% efficiency and your boat is now VERY HAPPY with you!! Plus, it really wasn't that hard to do, was it?? When I got back into sailing years ago I thought sail trim was very difficult because I didn't get it but when the "sail trim lights went on" I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Thanks mate, you're message made my day.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Yes, Crotchester, New York or the burbs thereof. It is a pip in the winter here, but you already knew that with Syracuse being the snow capital of the lower 48. It is exciting getting the most out of a boat. I readily reach speeds approaching hull speed in light winds. Glad to provide the feedback. YOT and I are very happy.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Wind at 9 - 11 is pretty strong. Is that apparent wind or actual wind speed? In picture #2 you seem to be on a reach or broad reach from the look of the surface of the water, yet you have the headsail trimmed pretty tight.
I have found that steering a boat is a lot less fun than working the sail trim. Try easing your headsail until it luffs, then slowly sheet it in until it completely fills and starts pulling the boat. Then play with it until you max out your boat speed. Do the same with the main but also play with your traveler, boom vang and outhaul. I don't know many people who play with their halyard tension while sailing.

You should also read the articles on the nature of lift from Arvel Gentry. I am attaching a copy for your perusal, it gives you a whole new perspective on life in general once you realize lift is nothing like what you thought intuitively. Kind of a zen thing like the feeling you had when you were molding your non-skid into your new deck. Of course this feeling can be enjoyed repeatedly.

Once you really get into sail trim you will be hiring a crew member to steer while your eyes will constantly be on the sails because you know you can go a little faster if you just adjust this thing here a little bit.

Attachments

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Not to hijack, but while we are talking about sail trim, initial setting of luff tension is suggested as one inch extra on the main halyard per 10 feet of luff (if I recall correctly). Is that how you initially set your main Joe?

And How does this generality apply to older sails as would be my situation?

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
What the hell. What am I doing wrong? I read the book and yesterday I ran full main with the 140 in 14 knots give or take. On a close reach the silly boat was averaging 7.3 with occasional bursts over eight. Hull is 6.4 theoretical. This has been going on all season. Not complaining but is this normal 'cause it sure is exciting. Sorry Jonny. I set my luff so as to remove any hint of scalloping and adjust occasionally to keep it with the same sag as my forestay. I am a purist with hank on headsails with varying weight cloth.

May 18, 2010
Oday 27 Gulfport, MS
Hey Joe

Glad to hear you had an excellent day sailing and good speeds there! My last outing was hitting 6.5 kts, 6.8 kts too but I think that was an artifact of the GPS -- micro speed burst down face of swell and not real sustained speed? Sustained speeds of 5.5 kts for me.

I used the Cunningham to tighten the sail and it looks better, removing most of the scallops etc. so with hitting 5.5 mph sustained I'm becoming happy with my sails and their performance. Learning to find tune and adjust them to get the most out of them.

Fair winds friend.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Hi again Jonny. I think some of the newfound numbers are the result of the restoration. With the use of biaxials and the Okuome I shave at least 350 pounds and probably closer to 500 pounds off YOT. If you have facebook let's connect. I have posted several videos of YOT chasing down newer and larger boats with no problem. One of the latest was a Hunter 343 that we overtook without hesitation.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Here is another question. Who is using what for the tack downhaul on an asym? 15 knot winds yanked the 1/4 inch stuff that came with it right through my hands. This resulted in a proper broach as the chute fully filled well up the headstay. The recovery was reasonably uneventful as the boat rounded up and a quick release of the halyard allowed for a quick gathering by the clew and stuffing it below. I must admit this one is exponentially more powerful than the Flasher I had on my 22.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Here is another question. Who is using what for the tack downhaul on an asym? 15 knot winds yanked the 1/4 inch stuff that came with it right through my hands. This resulted in a proper broach as the chute fully filled well up the headstay. The recovery was reasonably uneventful as the boat rounded up and a quick release of the halyard allowed for a quick gathering by the clew and stuffing it below. I must admit this one is exponentially more powerful than the Flasher I had on my 22.
You da' man, spinnin' in 15 kts!

Release the sheet!
Perhaps it was for the better?

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Da mad man perhaps. Glad my hands are well callused or I would have had some nasty burns. The boat was moving really nice I will admit. Just couldn't get a line that small pulled down even when I tried to pull down on the carabiner at the same time. I guess my repairs are pretty good as the mast didn't go flying away.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
in light conditions you can get away with those light lines and they let the sail set better due to their lower weight. In 15 knots you really need something heavier just so you can hand it. I find 3/8" works OK as the wind pipes up and does not weigh enough (for the tackline) to effect the sail till you are way down in wind speed.
or
you can use a winch. I have run the tack to the extra (a real luxury btw) winch on the cabin top.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
Thanks Bill. I happen to have some nice 3/8 handy. Are you using a pulley at the stemhead? I am thinking about adding one so that I can lead it aft to the winches.

Status
Not open for further replies.