Sail Trim Forum (Screen Saver)

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
I didn't want this topic to get lost in the reefing topic so I started a new one.

I only know that I did not want beginner sailors to have to go through what I went through to learn how to sail a boat. Many years ago, while searching for an outlet for my SAIL TRIM CHART and SAIL TRIM USERS GUIDE, I ran into Bly & Phil at sailboatowners.com. They, like me, were just started their business. and they agreed to carry my products. It was the start of a business relationship that doesn't exist anywhere now and has endured all these years -- we never had a contract and our relationship was and is based on a handshake - actually phone contact. I wish I'd have had a chance to meet both of them personally.

Anyway, at that time I was active on a Catalina 30 forum and I suggested to Bly & Phil that possibly a forum would work on their site. That was the start of the SAIL TRIM FORUM and to my knowledge there's nothing like it anywhere on the web. I designed it for the beginner sailor. Expert sailors don't need the sail trim forum BUT a bunch of them signed in to help answer the beginner sailors questions and correct me when I made a incorrect statement. I think that virtually every question a beginner sailor could ask has been asked and answered. Like the carpenter building houses in a new community - he's building himself out of a job and I think that is what has happened to the Sail Trim Forum. Additionally, I think that sail boat owners are spending more time repairing their boats than sailing them. I can understand that because I had to do the same thing.

Now on to SCREEN SAVERS comments. The sail trim forum was also designed for cruisers - I really never like racing. Also, questions were answered in short easy to understand non technical terms Scientific presentation, complicated formulae and endless verbiage only confused me and I assumed the beginner sailor. Sail trim is an acquired art and simple to learn and understand when it's presented in a easy-to-learn fashion. Covid was a wrecking ball to the sport of sailing - and everything else - and was the first nail in the coffin of the sail trim forum. Participation dried up.

So, what's the solution. I can't read a beginner sailors mind to determine what his sail trim questions are. I've given up writing topics, which I THINK might be of interest to the beginner.

SCREEN SAVER, you might be able to breath some life into the forum. Don't ask a series of questions - pick the most important item to you at this time and fire away.