Sail track lubricant

gary

Jun 5, 2004
- - Sally Rose
Curious as to what you all might recommend to lubricate sail tracks on masts and booms, etc., etc.

Thanx

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Elmers Dry Lube or McLube

Elmer's E450 Slide-All Dry Spray Lubricant 4-Ounce (about $7)

McLube SailKote (about $15)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I'd recommend nothing. It is not like you are sliding pistons in cylinders at 1000 feet/second. Not a lot of friction here.
Keep them clean (rain) and you should be good to go.

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
I'd recommend nothing. It is not like you are sliding pistons in cylinders at 1000 feet/second. Not a lot of friction here.
Keep them clean (rain) and you should be good to go.
I totally agree, I waxed mine once and it gave me years of trouble and stiction. The less you mess the better you will be.:dance:

ALNims

Jul 31, 2014
Hunter 356 Huis Ten Bosch Marina, Sasebo, Japan
Curious as to what you all might recommend to lubricate sail tracks on masts and booms, etc., etc.

Thanx
I don't use any lube. I just keep it clean. Lube can attract all manner of dust and dirt making it worse.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I take our halyard and attach a down-haul line to it and also attach a small wet rag and insert part of it in the track and then run it up and down a few times. It will pick up dirt and grime and clean the track. I do not use any lubricants in the track itself but will spray a dry lubricant on the slugs. I probably do it twice in a year and works for me.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
By far, the best improvement I've made to my boat was a coat of Teflon dry lube on the sail slugs. I used whatever Lowes was selling at the time. It has not attracted any dirt or grime whatsoever.

I agree that wet or waxy lubricants should be avoided, but I don't have any experience with them on a sailboat. They are certainly a nightmare on a mountain bike chain, which is where I learned the magic of dry lubes.

JTulls

Dec 6, 2014
International 14 and J-Boat J80 San Diego
I use McLube for sails with bolt rope and a tight track -- otherwise if you've got lugs running into the track, just keep it clean and make sure the lugs are in good condition

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I use McLube for sails with bolt rope and a tight track -- otherwise if you've got lugs running into the track, just keep it clean and make sure the lugs are in good condition
Absolutely nothing better for the job.

Aug 5, 2009
Hunter h23 Dallas Tx.
I use a food grade spray Teflon on the slugs only once a year. The new slugs on my new FX sail are not as long as the slugs on the original sail .

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
Occasionally, liquid dish detergent. No buildup and it keeps the track clean.