Sail slugs

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Had a very windy sail yestersay. My neighbor broke 6 sail slugs. He had to remove his main to get new ones sewn in. Came to find out I broke one too. Only mine snap thru grommets in the sail. The loop part that captures the slug broke away. Does anyone know where to get these? May as well order a few.

20210620_184023.jpg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
If you broke only one, I would suggest replacing all, because the others may not be far behind on the assumption that there would be UV damage and/or age.

Dec 20, 2020
Prindle 16' Corrotoman River, VA
Yah likely they are all aged and brittle. I had half of mine go on our first few days of sailing on a week long trip. Luckily a local marine store had some instock and we were able to continue on :)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
You are better off replacing them with lashings, either cord (fast) or webbing (better). Google it. They last longer and allow more freedom of movement for the luff. Shackles, plastic or metal, are a lazy way IMO and IME. They either damamge the luff (metal) or break (plastic).

• Helpful
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You are better off replacing them with lashings, either cord (fast) or webbing (better). Google it. They last longer and allow more freedom of movement for the luff. Shackles, plastic or metal, are a lazy way IMO and IME. They either damamge the luff (metal) or break (plastic).
This is what my neighbor who broke 6 of them the same day has. He is taking his sail to get new ones sewn on

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
Depends on which part breaks, of course. I never break the shackle, only the slug.

Mar 26, 2011
If the slug breaks get wire bale slugs (if available). Alternatively, they may just be old.

If the bottom 1-2 slugs break first, the problem may be that the tack is secured too far back from the mast (very common) and the outhaul tension is pulling them out. Slugs are not made to withstand outhaul tension.

Mar 26, 2011
This is what my neighbor who broke 6 of them the same day has. He is taking his sail to get new ones sewn on
Really, a sailor should be able to sew on his own slugs. Every sailor should know needle and palm, even if he will take his sail to the loft for machine work. Contingency seamanship.

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
When replacing sail slugs make sure the new ones are identical to the old ones.

When I had my sailmaker install slugs to convert my main from luff rope to slugs I couldn't get my main up. The second and third slugs from the head would tilt and jam into the luff grove.
I tried lube on the slugs and everything else I could think of. But nothing worked until I looked real close and saw that those two problem slugs were slightly different in shape than the others.

It turned out that the sailmakers slug locker had a few odd slugs thrown in. He changed the odd ones and now there's no problem. It took a very close examination to see the difference in slugs. But it made a big difference.

• Helpful