Sail Rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

Can someone please tell me how to rig the mainsail on my Venture 21. I have a few ideas but all of them have a major drawback. CAn someone please tell me how the original rigging for the main was set up. Thanks.

D

dennis atherton

main on a v21

The main runs up mast via a groove as well as along a groove on the boom. You should have a pulley on top of the mast and a cleat on the boom. The sail suopports the boom and sitting it is no problem.

J

Jeff

Thanks, but I need the running rigging and ?

Thanks for the ehlp, but I need the running rigging (the mainsheets, the jib sheets, ect.) But tahnk you much. Actually speaking of attaching the mainsail, I ahve another question, how hard is it to replace the car on the top of the mainsail?

Jan 22, 2003
Hunter 25_73-83 Burlington NJ
Rigging recommendations

I assume you have no blocks either, Jeff. Here is what I would do for a Venture 21 or 22: Rig the mainsheet using 3/8 or 7/16 low-stretch 'Yacht Braid' line. Make it 4:1 purchase using a fiddle block with a cam cleat on the traveller and other blocks on the boom. Consult the Schaefer cataloge as a source book if you need to. The traveller should be 1-1/8" track mounted across the front of the cockpit. The traveller-car control lines can be 3/8 and do not need to have more than 2:1 purchase as this is still a little boat. I would also include a vang (removable sheetline tackle) at about 3:1 using similar parts to your mainsheet but fitted with snap shackles on both ends. You never know when you can use this. The jib sheets can be 3/8 but I would definitely go bigger on them; even 1/2 can't hurt. If you like, buy lines with eye splices (some people even colour-code them with red stripes and green stripes for port and starboard!). Make them twice as long as the J (distance along deck from front of mast to the forestay) plus the distance back to the cockpit winches. Some people will use any old thing but the eye splices should be in swivel snap-shackles (see Schaefer catalogue again-- this should be your Wish Book anyway) for clipping to the jib clews. Don't skimp on quality for stuff you will use every day. This should be a standard set-up and any yard can help you hook it up. I would have to see the boat and its condition before recommending standing-rigging improvements and replacements (such as split backstay and tensioner/mast bender). Be careful taking too much advice from people who are not seeing it in person, but bounce ideas of guys in your yard, including the pros. I do not know what you mean by the 'car on the top of the mainsail' --do you mean the track slides going up the mast? Let me know if you have more particular questions. JC JComet@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.