Sail repair. Reafixing the logo ??

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
I have a two year old Hyde mail sail and the logo is beginning to peel away a bit on both sides of the sail. Nice sail and great customer service when I was considering a sail. Not so much when you have a simple question, four separate requests and not a single reply.

So my question is what adhesive could I use or should i use to reattach the logo to the sail? I have a multitude of glues, adhesives and bonding agents at home but I don't want to damage the sail. As always, thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Curet

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Capt Curt,
I'm pretty sure my Ullman sail has the capri triangle and sail numbers sewn on. Maybe a call to a sail loft is In order
Swabbie Wooster

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
That may well be in order when Chingaletta is back on the hard. Right now the logo is loose along the bottom on one side at and at the corner of the opposite side. I was hoping to find a simple "glue" fix for now and hope it would remedy the situation permanently. If not there is a loft close to home. Thanks

Cheers,
Curt

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
Well,
Looking at my 4 year old Ullman main today I see the capri logo and sail numbers are NOT sewn on; rather some type of adhesive binds these to the sail fabric. So much for my "pretty sure". Just the same, I wonder if a call to a sail loft might reveal what sort of "goop" they use to attach these emblems.
Wooster who keeps company with Miss Information and her feminist cousin Ms Take

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Hey Wooster,

I know those two ladies wevy well, unfortunately. Next time I go downtown and am around the sail loft I will stop in and inquire what sort of adhesive is typically used. I just hope they don't tell me the are usually iron on.

Cheers,
Curt

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for the link. I just sent them an e-mail explaining how I got their site, why I was given their site and asked for any recommendations. i will post up any info they supply.

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Now that's customer service. Brian at Sailrite explained that the adhesive is pat of the product and has no way of re-attaching it that he knows of. Typically sew it on or replace with new. He did say that rubber cement or contact cement may do the job, although untested. He suggested testing a small area first.

Nothing I have to worry about for now and will figure something out in the fall.

Cheers,
Curt

FWIW: Hyde sails is now officially on my S#*t list and will never see a recommendation or another purchase from me.

Mar 25, 2012
Glad to hear that. I love Sailrite - they probably have my picture up on their wall with all the stuff I buy from them.

I'll post a separate thread on my repair of my sail cover. I added new logos using the insignia cloth. I did sew around the outside of them though with a zig-zag stitch as a backup.