Sail passage Miami-Bahamas and back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2007
Catalina 270 Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I've recently added to my "Before I die" bucket list, to do a Florida to Bahamas passage and was wondering if anybody reading this great website has made or makes this passage and could they please share some knowledge with me.

Also, if anybody is planning such a trip and would like an experienced deck hand... I might be very interrested, at my own expense of course! (By experienced, I do not mean old., I am a very young 48 years old.)

Thanks! Marc

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
All that I can tell you about that passage is that Nancy and I took it on a passenger ferry. On the trip out from Ft Lauderdale we had about 20 knots against the gulf stream and it was very lumpy. Three days later on the trip back it looked like a mill pond. Even when we crossed the edge of the gulf stream you could see the wake dogleg.
So if you hit a good weather window it could be a nice trip, get it wrong and it could be the passage from hell.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Weather Window

All I know is there are always boats waiting for a good weather window to cross
over from Florida east coast,some times they are waiting a very long time.
One day soon I hope to make the trip in my 36 Hunter now that I live in Florida.
Nick

Aug 3, 2005
Morgan 33 O/I Green Cove Springs FL
Well, When do you want to go?

I see you are from Quebec Eh!! Do you plan to make the trip in the winter or spring?

How are you getting here? by boat?

The Bahamas are to cold for me in the winter so I usually don't go for pleasure. If you want a winter trip, plan on not beinging on a schedule. The fronts come from the NE, the Gulf Stream flows north and the combination makes for a rough if not dangerous crossing.

It is entirely possible to have to wait two or more weeks to get a favorable weather window. In the spring the fronts stop dropping down and the wind is usually out of the SE.

If you want particulars on where to leave from let me know. I could write a book on the subject, but allot of people have already.

Fair Winds

Dave

Jan 3, 2009
Marine Trader 34 Where Ever I am
Mark, We have done the trip several times. Most folks cross either from Key Biscayne to Cat Cay or from West Palm to West End. A few go from the Keys to South Riding rock. Crossing the Gulf Stream is a big issue and yes some folks sit for a while to wait for the right weather to cross. We have waited 10 days for the right window. The reason for that is we have been in the Gulf Stream in adverse conditions and don't wish to ever have to do it again. I suggest you get Van Sant's book, Gentleman's Guide to Passages South. It will give you a great deal of info on making the crossing and traveling through the Bahamas. Next would be Steve Pavlidas's Bahamas Guides. Hope you eventually make it.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The passage is easy if you follow certain rules.

1. you NEVER cross the gulf stream with winds that have a "north component" or you can experience 'dangerous seas' with the winds counter to the strong current.

2. You MUST wait for a 'weather window' .... the best is a High sitting over Florida that brings gentle SE or South winds. SW winds are usually followed quickly by NWers (North Component)

3. You usually need to add 20 degrees of 'southing' to your course to compensate for the 2.5 kt. northerly flow of the stream ... and then wind up with an "S curve" track as you cross. Those that follow GPS courses, ignoring the 20 degree southing requirement, wind up with a LOT of extra time & actual travel distance.

4. Whatever NOAA states/forecasts on one day will usually NOT be what happens on the next day. You go out an inlet and if there are no 'elephants on the ocean', and the winds and direction are remotely close to the forecast of 24 hours ago, then its probably 'safe' to cross. If you see 'elephants on the water', you do a quick 180 and return to port and wait for another 'weather window'.

Those that leave from Ft. Lauderdale for the West End have an easier faster trip because of the 'boost' that they get from the GS. From Lake Worth to West End you're at 90 degrees to the stream; hence, you get no 'boost' from the stream. For West End its usually better/faster from Ft. Lahdeedahdale although the distance is longer.

:)

Mar 27, 2005
Hunter 42 Mana NewZealand
We have done the crossing both ways from Memory Rock in the northern Bahamas over to Port of Palm Beach, down the ICW and back over from Fort Lauderdale.
We waited nearly two weeks for a three day weather window but it was worth it, from some of the horror stories related to us I would advise carefully monitoring the weather. The trip across the Gulf took us around fifteen hours each time but was incident free. When planning sailing in the Bahamas, get an upto date chart plotter as it is very shallow in places, have a great trip, you will love it, regards Dave H

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 36 MK1 FL
We crossed in a 30' sailboat from West Palm to West End first week in May several years ago. Left at 7PM and had a very rough crossing arriving at West End around 9AM - 14 hr crossing. The crossing was exascerbated by the darkness - couldn't see the confused seas coming at us which was disconcerting. This was our first off-shore venture (other than coastal cruising).

However, met up with a trawler in West End who left West Palm at 3AM the next morning and their crossing was like glass. Ck'd in at West End and proceeded to spend 4 weeks in the Abacos. Left from Memory Rock Memorial Day weekend early AM and with the boost from the GS arrived Fort Pierce by 5PM - 10 hr crossing. Much, much easier coming back over Memorial Day weekend. We did have a 10 day wait for the "weather windpw" when we crossed from West Palm! This March we are heading to Miami in our 36' sailboat to cross to the Exumas and then up through the Abacos. Expect we'll wait for a window and have time on our hands (this time) so won't push the weather window.

Despite the initial crossing and seasickness that clung to me the entire trip over, I would do it again ... the same way if I had to ... because the rest of the trip was fabulous. Hope you pursue your dream. It's worth it!

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Rich H has given you some very good suggestions. So far no one has invited you on their boat, which is what you want. I have done many Gulf Stream crossings, but have no plans on going soon, so can't offer a ride.
I have sailed from Dinner Key Marina to Bimini, from Key Largo to Cat/Gun Cay and to West End and to Nassau and to Abacos and Exumas, etc.
The Gulf Stream is nothing to fool with. Watching weather windows is important. For winter, it is best to go in later Feb, March or April than earlier because of all the cold fronts and unpredictable Northerly weather that can pop up. I have never crossed the Gulf Stream in flat conditions, but I know of some who have. I have had some pleasant crossings and some very unpleasant crossings. I'll take the pleasant ones anyday.
To go from Miami to Bimini is not a hard trip if the weather and seas are on your side. It's only like 50 miles. In Biscayne Bay there is Dinner Key Marine (Coconut Grove) or you can stay at Bayside or the Miami Marina and have easy access to Governor Cut or through the Rickenbacher and out the Cape Florida Channel. Bayside is really cool and protected from weather and Miami undesireables with lots of shops and restaurants. Some will go to No Name Harbor at the south end of Biscayne Bay and wait until midnight and then cross in a flotilla to reach Bimini or Cat Cay at daylight. I have left Miami in the late afternoon to arrive in Bimini in the middle of the night, but then you have to wait outside and anchor for customs to open up. Anchoring outside Bimini is ok if the seas are ok. Sometimes it is only recommended for day anchorages because of the sea surge. There is also Honeymoon Harbor, a relatively protected cove to anchor in as well, near Bimini. Or you can cut in between Gun Cay and Cat Cay and anchor on the east side of these islands for protection. Fly a quarantine flag and obey laws of customs. You can clear at Cat Cay, which is a private Island or Bimini. There are some stores for provisioning on Cat and you can walk around only the part of the island where the residences are not. Bimini is building up more. There is a new marina on the outside just finishing up the last time I was there. Then on the inside there are some other marinas and anchoring spots at Alice Town. Browns marina at one time was a place to go, but has since been wrecked with hurricanes. Not sure if they are rebuilding it or not. The Compleate Angler used to be there. That was Hemmingways house, but it burned unfortunately. There is the Bimini Big Game Club where the sport fish boats hang. That is fancy.
My first Gulf Stream crossing was on a 34' sailboat with only a compass. The light didn't work so had to use a flashlight. This was before GPS. RDF was around, but didn't have one. Four of us were on board and it was a very rough crossing with seas coming in from behind (better than on the nose). I was looking up at seas. Heard a mayday over the VHF, but didn't know where the person overboard was. Saw no other lights. Thought I was alone. The other three got sick and so I sailed it myself and awoke them outside of Bimini at 2:30 a.m. to help me anchor the vessel. Read about the man (actually woman) overboard in Sail Magazine some months later and it was the same mayday that I heard on the air. I was pretty busy alone out there anyway. She was rescued, thankfully.
The Gulf Stream gets faster toward the middle and not so fast at the edges. On that trip I drew out vectors on a sheet of paper to determine my best guess for a heading and when I saw the Bimini "B" light flashing I felt pretty good that I figured it out correctly. I know of some people who left Miami for Bimini and ended up back on the Florida shore farther up (like West Palm Beach). The Gulf Stream played a trick on them and they were pretty embarrassed to find them selves back in Florida after so many hours out to sea. That was long before GPS. Now with GPS it is a piece of cake as long as you have power to run them.
I think after you do your first gulf stream crossing you might be compelled to sail further into the Bahamas. They are beautiful waters and the best fun I have had almost anywhere that I have sailed (and that's a lot of places). It is a sportsman paradise for fishing, snorkeling, diving, and sailing. Go for it before you die.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2007
Dear Bill, thank-you so much for taling the time to add so much detail and suggestions! I will print and add to my data file!
Marc

Jun 12, 2007
Rich, thanks for all the recommendations! Will all of them on file.

Marc

hfxns

Jan 24, 2006
Beneteau 323 Chester Basin, NS
Ironic, I was just thinking the same think last night in the few minutes staring at the ceiling before going to bed. I am not really keen on the heavy offshore passage thing, but 75 miles is definitely doable, with some preparation. Its a great cruising goal. Now can I get my Beneteau 323 down to Miami to do the crossing is the question. Its a 10 year goal maybe. I could also just charter out of Miami. Definitely something worth thinking about.

M

marc robc

Beneteau 323 to Miami and beyond!

With a Beneteau 323 I would not hesitate a moment about taking her south and beyond! A friend of mine took his relatively small Classic 25 (single handed) all the way to the Bahamas and spent a few weeks in paradise and back. On a Ben 323, I would take her beyond all the way to Grenada with not hesitations and spend months on-board.

My short-term future plans (say ten years or less), is to buy and keep a boat (between 38 and 42 feet) somewhere near Florida, but not in Florida. More like South Carolina, in a yard off the intracoastal waterway. ( the passage from Montreal to that point is long and very boring...) The drive down is faster, cheaper and less complicated. Once there, take the boat via the Intracoastal (mast up) to south Florida. I would most likely cross over to the Bahamas from about Key Largo so I can use the north bound gulfstream current to my favour.

From there spend 3/4 months doing the Caribbean and then back for dryland storage in South-Carolina. Maybe find a trustworthy place to dryland store her on some island like the BVIs or St-Thomas. Perhaps hand her over to a SAVE and REPUTABLE charter leasing company for those months we am not using her.

All food for thought and definetely what I dream about when my heads the pillow...

Marc

JustMe

Apr 30, 2009
none but in the market none but in the market san diego when I buy one
Sail passage Miami-Bahamas and back
I was lucky enough to be invited to go with some friends this summer - thanks for all the great information which I will pass along....

Last edited:
H

hewja

Marc,

Wondering if you could contact me with regards to a crossing and your interest to join? Could you please email me at hewja@hotmail.com to discuss?
Thanks
Jon

I've recently added to my "Before I die" bucket list, to do a Florida to Bahamas passage and was wondering if anybody reading this great website has made or makes this passage and could they please share some knowledge with me.

Also, if anybody is planning such a trip and would like an experienced deck hand... I might be very interrested, at my own expense of course! (By experienced, I do not mean old., I am a very young 48 years old.)

Thanks! Marc

Aug 30, 2009
pearson p30 miami/cat il. bahama
leaving late feb. from Miami to cat island ,bahama for one month on pearson p-30 ,you will love Cat.

Jun 12, 2007
Have a great trip!

leaving late feb. from Miami to cat island ,bahama for one month on pearson p-30 ,you will love Cat.
I do not know if you sending this message was an invitation to join you, which I would have considered VERY seriously, but I will be in Costa Rica during that time.

However, please keep me posted on how things go! This passage is still on my Bucket List...

Dec 28, 2010
Endeavour 37'4" plan A Niceville Florida
Bahama Bank Time

Look what we caught coming back across the bank from chub to lake worth inlet this past year. Sounds similar to the trip on your bucket list. like all has said before me...........do it! everyone has a different story but they are all memorable. and isnt that what life is about anyways

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.