Sail Kote Saves the Day (again)

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Had to replace my spare halyard after it chafed in Hurricane Ida. The halyard was old & beyond its duty cycle; Ida simply moved replacement up the priority list.
So, I taped the end of the new line and cut thru half of the tape to get rid of the melted end that created a bulge in the end of the line. Taped and cut the end of the old halyard also. I placed the taped lines end to end and placed approximately 8 stiches with whipping twine to hold them together, then used electrical tape to wrap the lines & stiching to provide a smooth transition. Unfortunately, when I attempted to run the "spliced" halyards over the mast head sheave, it was no go. I didn't want to pull too hard to avoid jamming the splice nor did I want the splice to fail. So, I sprayed a heavy coat of Sail Kote on the splicedhalyard.jpg area and gave it another try. When the splice hit the sheave again, it was like a minor speed bump and cleared thru the sheave without a snag. First time I used Sail Kote for that application; however, It worked flawlessly!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Glad it worked............its a dry lubricant that makes sails, hulls, rigging, deck hardware, and anything that moves on your boat run smoother and work more efficiently.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
makes sails, hulls, rigging, deck hardware, and anything that moves on your boat run smoother
Yes, it is good stuff! I usually use it to lubricate deck hardware, sheaves, & blocks. It is essential when reinstalling luff tapes into the slot of roller furling extrusions. Leaves no residue when it dries. Unfortunately, its is not as widely available as it used to be.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I have tried other Teflon dry lubricants and I continue to use them for some applications; however, Sailkote is the only one that doesn’t leave a white residue. Try spraying them on clear glass for comparative results.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
DuPont Teflon Silicone Lubricant is dry. I use it on my sail slugs & track, works well. Have not noticed a white residue.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Attached is the Dupont Data sheet for the product. Perhaps the product has a lot of volatile chemicals included in the mix, but the Data Sheet identifies the product as a "Liquid". :yikes: Such chemicals can dry the product once it is sprayed.

The chemists here can register a professional observation.
To a extend, so does Sailkote. Aersolized, volatile liquid that quickly evaporates leaving a residue that is the final product. https://www.mclubemarine.com/sailkote/. I prefer Sailkote for my lugs because it appears it doesn’t leave a staining potential on my sail cloth when I’m spraying it.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
@BigEasy glad that worked. The splice really looked nice, so surprised it would not feed. i suspect the sheave is not running freely, and the tape would not drag across, hence the need for mclube.