Sail Flaking Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Irvine

My 42 is fitted with the standard Dutchman Flaking system on the mainsail. This system is rarely seen in the UK where I sail. I find it problematic when reefing in heavy winds. Do other owners find it a good system? Do they have to adjust it when reefing? Do they have to go to the mast to adjust the topping lift? I am tempted to change it for a lazy jack system. I frequently break the nylon line and sometimes I am fearful of ripping the sail, such is the tension that it creates in the sail. I would welcome comments from other users.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Never heard of that

Are you reefing with the main powered? That's one heck of a lot of tension on the sail when reefing. Unless you're in some miughty big winds (I'd guess well over 30 kts) de-powering the main should remove anything close to that kind of tension. ph.

D

David Irvine

Repl to Phil

I perhaps have not explained the problem properly. I find that the flaking system may be properly adjusted when under full sail but when you reef it needs readjustment as other wise the nylon lines are much too tight and take much of the pressure of the sail. The solution seems to slacken the topping lift which means going to the mast thus defeating the point of a single line reefing system led back to the cockpit. We do get some rough weather here and I find the whole contraption really too fiddly and not up to the job. Perhaps I have it set up incorrectly.

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Milder wweather here

I have no doubt that our conditions here in the US Northwest are milder, and that I have not experienced the pressures you describe. It's possible, though, that your Lazy Jack lines are too tight. With the mainsail flaked, the boom hangs lower and is supported by the topping lift. The jacks should be tight in this position. But with the main raised, a powered sail should raise the level of the boom and slacken the jacks enough to handle reefing. It's hard to tell without seeing your rig, but the issue must be a combination of the jack adjustment and the way your boom responds to reefing.

M

MKolbenschlag

Reefing adjustments

You have to adjust the topping lift after reefing to make sure the pressure is on the sail not the topping lift and lazy jack lines. On the 99s the topping lift line comes back to the cockpit to avoid having to go forward. I agree, however, that in the thick of things, it would be easy rip a lazy jack line if you are slow to make the adjustment.

S

Stan Rogacevicz srogacev@holycross.edu

Reefing with a Dutchman

The weight of the boom should never be carried by the Dutchman monofiliment lines. It sounds like you are possibly sailing with the topping lift slacker than neccessary. On my c28 and now on my c320 there is a continuous line adjustment with cam cleat on the aft end of the mast to tighten or slacken the monofiliment lines of the Dutchman. If you must run with the topping lift too slack to support the boom without putting pressure on the monofiliment lines then slack them before you slack the main halyard. My c320 has a solid boom vang so it is now a non-issue for me. Stan

M

Michael Yorke e-mail to mikey4@idt.net

C42 Dutchman Sail Flaking System

Hello David. I was interested to see your posting regarding the Dutchman flaking system and the problems you have encountered. (By the way, I am a Brit living here in the USA and I've done all my sailing outside of the UK!) I have a 1997 Catalina 42 Mk II with the Dutchman fitted. I have not had the problem you have described. I am also wondering why you have to go forward to the mast to ease the topping lift. On my boat, and to my knowledge on all C42's, the topping lift is led to the cockpit via a block, through the dodger, and through the stopper under the dodger. All adjustments to the topping lift are done from the cockpit. I set the Dutchman up exactly as the manual states, adjusting the tension on each of the mono lines with the sail fully raised. When lowering, or reefing the sail I luff up, tension the topping lift, and lower the sail, or reef. I've had the boat offshore from New York to Bermuda and have had no problem in reefing without hurting the Dutchman mono lines. I am assuming that your C42 is set up pretty much standard, with the solid boom vang. Can you explain why you go forward to ease the topping lift. I'll be happy to continue to compare notes. My e-mail is mikey4@idt.net Hope this helps Michael Yorke C42, Mk II, #573, Certa Cito Port Washington, Long Island, New York

M

Michael Yorke e-mail to mikey4@idt.net

C42 Dutchman Sail Flaking System

Hello David. I was interested to see your posting regarding the Dutchman flaking system and the problems you have encountered. (By the way, I am a Brit living here in the USA and I've done all my sailing outside of the UK!) I have a 1997 Catalina 42 Mk II with the Dutchman fitted. I have not had the problem you have described. I am also wondering why you have to go forward to the mast to ease the topping lift. On my boat, and to my knowledge on all C42's, the topping lift is led to the cockpit via a block, through the dodger, and through the stopper under the dodger. All adjustments to the topping lift are done from the cockpit. I set the Dutchman up exactly as the manual states, adjusting the tension on each of the mono lines with the sail fully raised. When lowering, or reefing the sail I luff up, tension the topping lift, and lower the sail, or reef. I've had the boat offshore from New York to Bermuda and have had no problem in reefing without hurting the Dutchman mono lines. I am assuming that your C42 is set up pretty much standard, with the solid boom vang. Can you explain why you go forward to ease the topping lift. I'll be happy to continue to compare notes. My e-mail is mikey4@idt.net Hope this helps Michael Yorke C42, Mk II, #573, Certa Cito Port Washington, Long Island, New York

Status
Not open for further replies.