Sail Drive or non Sail Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

Looking a 2 boat one with sail drive and one with convetional sailboat diesel. I'm new to engines. I've only sailed keelboats without an engine. Can someone enlighten me about these engines

D

David McKie

Sail Drives

Jeff, I have surveyed and owned both types of drive. If I can help you with my experiences please e-mail direct: surveyor@shore.net

S

Steve W

If it is the OMC saildrive...

parts can be a big problem. I was looking at an S-2 and although it ran great, I was concerned about the parts availability. I talked to a OMC/Evinrude/Johnson dealer and he said the biggest problem is that the OMC saildrive legs corrode internally and there are no new ones available for the OMC saildrive. The only way to check is to pull it apart, according to the dealer. Also, the boat has to be hauled to change the impeller. If a Volvo, I have heard parts are no problem, just expensive. I guess if you got a great deal, you could always hang an outboard on it. There is a company the makes a replacement for the OMC using a modified Honda 15 hp 4 stroke. Advertised price was about $6k plus installation. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.