Sail Cuba.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The US has recently granted licenses for ferry services to Cuba. The announcement goes on to say that travel will not commence until bureaucratic hurdles are cleared. The process for private boats to enter into Cuba has been in place and is open for business. There are no hurdles there. The existing hurdles are in the US with the Embargo provisions. With all the steps being taken to normalize relations with Cuba I do not see the US agencies enforcing the embargo provisions. Without enforcement the Embargo could be effectively over. Has anyone sailed to Cuba and back lately or does anyone have any information regarding current practices or level of enforcement? If private companies are being granted licenses I believe private citizens should be issued permits. Let's get our boating associations and legislators engaged in this.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
snip- The existing hurdles are in the US with the Embargo provisions. -snip- If private companies are being granted licenses I believe private citizens should be issued permits. Let's get our boating associations and legislators engaged in this.
Agreed. As if we need a permit to go anywhere. :cussing:

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Agreed. As if we need a permit to go anywhere. :cussing:
I strongly agree with you in theory but I wouldn't want to be the test case.

If I was of a mind to visit Cuba by sailboat I think the prudent move would be to wait till the details are worked out and more or less normalized travel is in place.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX

If I was of a mind to visit Cuba by sailboat I think the prudent move would be to wait till the details are worked out and more or less normalized travel is in place.
Fear is a great immobilizer, isn't it?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
As in many cases; Americans may find it harder to enter their homeland if they have been in a foreign nation than it was for them to enter the foreign nation. The paperwork has to be correct and you still need an acceptable reason for having been in Cuba. Oddly, not so much if you are a cuban american.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida

I agree and that is why I'm asking if someone has recently tested the current enforcement of the Embargo policies. Definitely checking for insurance coverage especially in Hurricane season is advised. I don't think your reasons for going to Cuba really matter, it is the spending of money down there that is really prohibited. The Treasury Department which runs the show is land locked so I'm going to check with a Coast Guard friend to see what's the temperature of the enforcement climate. The Treasury Department keeps a list of exceptions that they grant licenses to but issuing these licenses to commercial ferry operators and not to other citizens seems discriminatory.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No, it almost entirely on the reason for travel. If you are going to Cuba for educational, research, religious missions, journalism it's good.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
No, it almost entirely on the reason for travel. If you are going to Cuba for educational, research, religious missions, journalism it's good.
I believe those are exceptions granted under the Embargo to approve the spending of money in Cuba legally by a US citizen. The embargo does not prohibit a US citizen from traveling to Cuba it just regulates who is or not allowed to spend money there. Our Government takes the position that if you set foot in Cuba you must have paid for food or services and are thus in violation. The concept of "sponsored visits" where all expenses are paid by a Cuban host has at times disrupted the Government's cases based on the assumption. The lack of solid proof has stalled many court cases but that has not curtailed the threats and harassment. Some of these folks will never be prosecuted but will have to endure harassment from the Treasury Department. This is nothing else but Government sanctioned Bullying. I guess if we have waited this long we'll wait until they lift the Embargo. Maybe after the elections Congress may consider public opinion and do the right thing.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Obama administration approves Cuba ferry service licenses

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/06/us-cuba-usa-ferry-idUSKBN0NQ2CE20150506

he return of passenger ferry services between the United States and Cuba took a major step forward on Tuesday when the Treasury Department issued licenses to at least two U.S. companies.
One of the licenses was issued to Miami-based Baja Ferries USA, part of a major shipping group with passengers and cargo operations, including on Mexico's west coast, according to the company.
Another license was issued to Puerto Rico-based America Cruise Ferries, according to a lawyer who handled the license application for the company.