Sail cover repair question

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I have a mainsail stack pack style cover. It is sewn into the foot of the mainsail. The zipper that closes the cover needs re sewn in sections. If I take to a canvas shop I would have to take the sail and cover as one since it’s attached.

Has anyone used a handheld sowing machine on sunbrella fabric with a quality UV protected thread? If so what machine and thread.

Thanks

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
used a handheld sowing machine on sunbrella fabric
No...
But what stops you from manually stitching the zipper to the sail. Sure it would be a tedious task, but relatively straight forward. On your 28, how long is the boom 12 feet? Doable in a weekend, infront of the fireplace with a cup of cocoa and marshmallows.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
..............The zipper that closes the cover needs re sewn in sections............Has anyone used a handheld sewing machine on sunbrella fabric with a quality UV protected thread? If so what machine and thread............
Davidasailor26..........ditto for a hand held sewing kit, which I have used. Although I have never used a handheld sewing machine (have used a standard Sailrite sewing machine), they are relatively inexpensive so you might buy one on Amazon and see if it works and if not return it. Check Sunbrella thickness with a calipher and if ≤ 1.8 mm you might use this portable handheld sewing machine Amazon.com: Yeahloop Handheld Sewing Machine,Mini Portable Handle Sewing Machine with Sewing Kit, Quick Stitch Tool for Fabric Clothing Kids Cloth Pet Clothes : Arts, Crafts & Sewing and source UV protected thread from Sailrite uv thread Outdoor - Sailrite. Let us know how you repaired it........by hand, handheld portable machine or shop.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the links. I used one of those awls before. It was one hideous repair job.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I just restitched several seams on my winter cover with my Speedi-stitcher. And on my old boat, the old sail over was held together with Speedi-Stitch twine :)

Greg

Apr 1, 2012
Pearson 424 Charleston, SC
If thread is failing on the zipper it’s a good bet that it’s failing on other parts of the cover. Sounds like a pain to transport but having a shop restitch with ptfe thread will take care of the problem for the life of the cover. One and done.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
A Speedi-Stitcher is the slow way to do this and NOT what a sail maker would do. A hand stitching palm would do it in half the time. Yes, I have used both and have both, and I very seldom use the Speedi-Stitcher. Leather and if I cannot reach the other side (helper needed) only. I've done a lot of restiching of covers and sails with a palm. If I had to choose one, I would take the needle and palm (so would any sailmaker) and pitch the Speedi-Stitcher.

And Spindrift is right too. Restitch everything that has any wear. As for PTFE thread, it is very good, but heavy hand stitching thread (waxed whipping twine) will also outlast the fabric.

Just sayin'.

• Helpful

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
While you are at try a zipper lube to make your zipper glide. I use one from Starbright. Really makes a difference.

Dec 27, 2012
I should of listened to the majority.

i had that stack pack made by a reputable sail loft in NJ 3 years back. It cost me $400 at the time.

i took it to a marine canvas/sail shop in St Augustine for repairs.The repair work consisted of re stitching the main zipper, adding a 2nd reef slit and replacing the connection points for the lazy jack lines. I was quoted 3 to 4 hours at $100 an hour. I felt that was high but just wanted it done. Once complete it supposedly took 5 hours and cost me $526.00. That’s $126.00 more then what the stack pack cost me.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems overly inflated to me.

Nov 30, 2020
Macgregor 22 Dania, FL
While you are at try a zipper lube to make your zipper glide. I use one from Starbright. Really makes a difference.
Candle wax also works and the bottom of a taper is just the right size.
Chip V.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
It may be the labor/repair rates being different in NJ and Florida.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I took my Genoa to North Sail a couple of years ago because I noticed that the cloth at the bottom had worn on the pulpit and I wanted it fixed.

I was quite surprised at the cost to do some minor repairs.

They also suggested I would need a new UV protection layer (forget what they call it)…. I asked for an approximate cost…about 50% of a new sail.

Greg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Having re-stitched a sail cover, I cannot see how that handheld machine could possibly make it through more than one layer of canvas; and stitching one layer doesn't get you very far.
I have an old, but heavily built, machine I picked up for $20 that does the job but I'd really like a walking foot like on the Sailrite machines.
I've tried the speedy-stich and I'd have to agree with @thinwater the palm is just easier.

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
I should of listened to the majority.

i had that stack pack made by a reputable sail loft in NJ 3 years back. It cost me $400 at the time.
That price is way under a Mack Pack price of around $900. You get what you pay for.