• On September 1st, Maine Sail suffered a major hemorrhagic stroke. One of the most generous members of our sailing community, he has helped thousands. Now it's our turn. Click here to learn more

Sail cover repair question

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Sailmaker's palm and needle. That is what the sailmaker will use for a small bit of work in the field and what was used for centuries. The speedy stitcher, IMO, is for leather and for people who have not net learned all a palm can do. You won't often see a sailmaker with a speedy stitcher.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I should of listened to the majority.

i had that stack pack made by a reputable sail loft in NJ 3 years back. It cost me $400 at the time.

i took it to a marine canvas/sail shop in St Augustine for repairs.The repair work consisted of re stitching the main zipper, adding a 2nd reef slit and replacing the connection points for the lazy jack lines. I was quoted 3 to 4 hours at $100 an hour. I felt that was high but just wanted it done. Once complete it supposedly took 5 hours and cost me $526.00. That’s $126.00 more then what the stack pack cost me.

Maybe I’m wrong but it seems overly inflated to me.
I bought a cheapo Brother sewing machine and did all canvas repair myself, Sailcover, Bimini, awnings etc...every 6-12 months. Uses polyester tread from Sailrite. Plan to buy Tenara thread for long life of thread.

Ken Y