Sail cover for Lazyjacks

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Monterey
Hello. I have just had a Lazyjack system installed on my newly restored Macgregor 25. Only after this installation I realize it may be a bit of a problem obtaining a mainsail cover for it. Has anyone experienced this issue? I checked with an equipment dealer who specializes in Macgregor stock and after sale items, however, this seems to be something they a aren’t often contacted about. Does anyone know my best course to take regarding this issue? It doesn’t have to be a stock item. I’m okay with a custom sailcover. Thanks, Giro

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
The folks here can build you one with options such as color, thread material and snap style. They built one for me this past spring and I was very pleased with the work, delivery time and price. They will send you measuring instructions and quote a price. They may have a "stock" template they can modify for you. Give them a call if you would like to discuss it with them.

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
I appreciate the quick responses that I have received so far. Thank you very much.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...a bit of a problem obtaining a mainsail cover for it....
I had lazy jacks led to the bottom of the BOOM , to eye straps. Then a regular sail cover that secured between the boom and the sail. No slots needed.

Last edited:

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Would that eliminate the need of a custom, or modified, cover? Also, I’m not sure I understand about the eye straps you mention.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Would that eliminate the need of a custom, or modified, cover? Also, I’m not sure I understand about the eye straps you mention.
My bad- I said MAST in my previous reply. I meant the bottom of the BOOM! On the bottom of the boom are heavy-duty eye staps to take the load of the main sheet system. Depending on spacing, you might be able to run your lazy jacks to whatever you already have. But you can add lighter-weight eye straps in the grove on the bottom of the boom to lead your LJs to as the Eyes ARE ONLY GUIDING THE LJs. THE BOOM WILL TAKE THE STRESS OF THE LJs..

Any cover would be higher in inches to reach the bottom of the boom. My way, it only goes to the bottom of the SAIL.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My bad- I said MAST in my previous reply. I meant the bottom of the BOOM! On the bottom of the boom are heavy-duty eye staps to take the load of the main sheet system. Depending on spacing, you might be able to run your lazy jacks to whatever you already have. But you can add lighter-weight eye straps in the grove on the bottom of the boom to lead your LJs to as the Eyes ARE ONLY GUIDING THE LJs. THE BOOM WILL TAKE THE STRESS OF THE LJs..

Any cover would be higher in inches to reach the bottom of the boom. My way, it only goes to the bottom of the SAIL.

Any pictures? I think I follow the idea, seems like a great change to keep an old cover.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Like they say, “pictures speak a thousand words.” Very helpful, thanks a million!
Giro

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
You will probably get better advice if you define how you will use the boat.

You have not said if you plan to trailer it a lot or keep it in a slip. If you are trailering here are some boats to think about. Do you need/want an enclosed head with flush toilet? How much time will you actually sail or do you like the idea of sailing to a secluded cove, dropping anchor and making the boat home for a long weekend? Some people like to SAIL and some like to GHUNKHOLE. And some want to do both.

There is a guy on this forum named @Sumner who has done extensive mods to his Mac 26S and has sailed it all over the place. He has some nice links to his mod pages off of any one of his postings. You should look over his pages.

Everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes. I am rather fond of the Mac 26S or 26D. I also like my Hunter 26 and I like the Catalina 250. But I am a trailer sailor and all of those boats meet my need for sailing performance, comfort at anchor, shoal water ability and trailer-ability.

And in the trailer sailor category, my favorite pocket cruiser is the Rhodes 22. But I have sailed a Mac 22 all up and down the NC coast and as far out as Ocracoke Island several times and that is about as low of an entry point as you can find.

Compac also makes some nice pocket cruisers.

YMMV

Giro

Jul 23, 2019
Will not trailer the vessel. She’s berthed in a Central California marina. I have the trailer but won’t be using it.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Will not trailer the vessel. She’s berthed in a Central California marina. I have the trailer but won’t be using it.
Sorry.... I don't know why but I submitted that post on another thread. Not sure how/why it ended up here. It was for a thread asking advice on a first boat.