Sail Cover Between Sailing Days

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
Personal protocol question for folks who have a fully removable main sail cover: when on a longer trip where you are moving each day do you cover your main sail at the end of each day? Or do you take it off at the beginning of the trip and re-cover at the end?

I feel like the biggest reason for the cover (beyond appearance) is to reduce UV wear on the sail. But, given that the UV is during the day (when the cover is off and, hopefully, the sail is up) it feels moot to cover at night.

Personally, I cover it when we're going to have a day where don't go out or a day where I know I won't be putting the sail up (IE predicted for no wind even if I'm motoring). I leave it off when motoring both to be ready to deploy in an emergency or if the wind decides to actually be sail-able (assuming I have a destination and a time line).

What do others do?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The cover goes on when the boat is secured. Comes off just before we leave wherever we are.

Why? The effects of UV exposure is cumulative. Even the late afternoon or early morning sun has some UV in it. Not the same as midday, however the effects are cumulative. It also helps to keep the sail clean, dust dirt, bird deposits happen all day. When the sail is up, it is vertical so this a little bit less of an issue than when it is laying on the boom. Additionally dew can form on the sail over night providing a better surface to capture the crud in the air.

With several thousand dollars invested in a sail, it pays to take care of it and extend its life even if it only means a few extra seasons.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Always on unless the boat is moving. UV as dlochner said.

Also same reason as no fenders when the boat is out of it's slip: I don't wanna be one of those guys. :)

Jan 25, 2007
Cal Cal 33-2 cape cod
Protocol, has us putting it on @ end of sail., sometimes one of us will put on cover as we motor through channel. Just a habit, like taking a sip of moonshine before setting off, cleaning the bottom each week, leaving ice box open (prevents mold), covering helm (leather gripped, dries out in sun too) and other such practical & habitual stuff probably best suited for another thread altogether.....So yes, cover on @ night....because...IDK., good habit.

Attachments

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
A bit of both. We put the cover on when not sailing.. Unless we are lazy and just do it at night.. Which happens..

Not only.does it.protect from UV, but it keeps bird crap off the sail, secures it more that just sail ties, and keeps morning condensation and rain off the sail. The cover is cheap.. The sail it protects is not.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I should add, we are getting rid of our cover and installing a "stack pack" with lazy jacks. The sail will drop into the stack pack and with one pull of a zipper the sail is securely tucked away.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
Just an FYI- I got a new mainsail cover from this site this year and am very pleased with the fit and finish- And sail cover goes on after sailing is done even if anchored out- never know what the next day will bring and you might be motoring or hunkering down

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@duck21 I do as you do, depending on the conditions, and have wondered the same.
I will cover it just for overnight if high winds or storms are forecasted where just sail ties are not enough to secure the sail. Other than that if we get back to the slip late afternoon or early evening and I plan to sail again in the am, I'll leave it off.
Haven't had an issue with bird droppings or other noticeable dirt. If I did I sure would cover it for the overnight.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Back when I was cruising my cat, I would generarlly put the cover on... because often I was not SURE if we would sail or when, and that way it was done.

If it takes more than a few minutes something is wrong.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Sail down - cover goes on. The only exceptions are coming to like a fuel dock where I may only spend an hour or so and then head back out.

Never really thought about it. It's just part of putting the sail down for overnight or more. The cover is really easy to put on.

dj

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'd like to say I cover it always, but my photos would tell me I'm lying. My main and mizzen are both nearly new so I cover them always on my harbor mooring.

But out sailing, it's usually how late in the day we anchor for the night that decides cover-no cover. I think in practice this is typical on our coast.

Better to cover it but if you don't, you're not a bad person. :)

Caught in the act....
Twilight North Haven 2.5 sec.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
For me it has just been a habit learned. As we come into the marina or tidying up the boat after the anchor is set we clean up the boat. Stow the lines. Cover the sail ready the boat for the evening or if we need to address and issue in the middle of the night.

Covering the sails is a lot easier that bearing the poles, folding and stowing in the sail locker.

Would you leave your engine hatch open all night, engine exposed to the elements? On a sail boat why leave the sail exposed if not working.

As Tom says covered or not “your not a bad person“.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I leave my lazy bag open at night if cruising for several days. I am lazy. Keep in mind that you can easily become excessive - compulsive. I watch with interest some of the power boaters in our marina. Whenever they return to their slip they rinse off the whole boat with a hose. Some sailors change their engine oil twice a season. Some change their fuel filters every year having only consumed 50 gallons of fuel. Some paint their whole bottom every year. Some have their sails washed every winter. The peace of mind that excessive compulsive people achieve comes at a high price, too high for a lazy person like me.

duck21

Jul 17, 2020
Hunter 376 0 Washburn, WI on Lake Superior
I was pretty pro-active with daily covering on my Catalina. However, on our new Hunter 376 the bimini gets in the way and the sail doesn't pull down far enough for me to reach the top from the deck. I've already found that stowing the sail while underway is almost impossible (a couple of close calls when the boom swung out and about hit me in the head--but I can't reach the end of the boom with it pulled centerline).

Maybe I'm in order for a stackpack too....