Sail boat junk yard

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
Is there any sailboat junk yards I know most are called salvage yards. but I haven't heard anyone speak of a salvage yard where you can buy used parts. like an auto junk yard.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
dont know about your neck of the woods but in clearwater fl there is dons salvage ...you could spend a whole day in there

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Don's is the "Harbor Freight" of salvage yards. My wife does to Florida for the sun and sand - I go for Don's!

And remember, everything is "negotiable" and if you look like a resident or fisherman - you get better prices.

Chris

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
More appropriate is probably the same term they use for Aircraft Salvage = Boneyard

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
If you have Google Earth you can do a search of your area. There are a few in the immediate New Orleans area. With Google Earth you can zoom in on them and see the yard. Most have a limited number of boats in the yard. Most salvage guys have to remove parts and destroy hull in a timely manner. My guy out here is getting hassled from inspectors and fire depth. for all sorts of "violations". When you get to Google earth zoom in to the area you are willing to travel then do a a search for "boat salvage" and it will show you all of the ones advertised in that area.
Good luck.

BTW Google Earth is free.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Is there any sailboat junk yards I know most are called salvage yards. but I haven't heard anyone speak of a salvage yard where you can buy used parts. like an auto junk yard.
try miracle auto parts in houston tx ...they have an ebay store ...and so does sailors exchange in st augustine

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
What is it you are looking for specifically.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
I m looking to buy a hunter 30 and the skeg is broken also stern and bow railings. and wanted to see what it will cost me to get these if I were to buy the boat.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I m looking to buy a hunter 30 and the skeg is broken also stern and bow railings. and wanted to see what it will cost me to get these if I were to buy the boat.
the "skeg"? Like the little fin that hangs below the gear housing on an outboard motor or on an outdrive? Or are you talking about the keel on the saiboat?

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
No the part that hangs just in front of the rudder. the bottom of the rudder stem actually sits in this part. its not the keel there separate.

Feb 14, 2007
Ranger33 25 NewOrleans
It was a Katrina victim . My friend said it was in the pile by South Shore Yatch club this is the pile after the storm. its one of these boats. pic is a little to small to pic it out but its in there some where. this has since been cleaned up but you can walk the docks and still see boats sunk in the water bows barely visible in the murky lake water and masts sticking out. people even say there still boats in the channels to get out and you have to be very carful moving around the pears or your keel will snag one.

Attachments

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
In SoCal, we are blessed to have Minney's

http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/

The website does not do the physical reality of being there any justice. :)

They've got absolutely everything but the hull, used. Amazing place

Edit: was it flooded inside?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
in the first pic, it looks like the skeg may be ok, and the rudder tube bent...
looks like quite a project, good luck