Sail battens

wisey2

Jan 5, 2019
Hunter 240 trailered from home
Where is the best place to get replacement battens for my Hunter 240? I live in Nazareth, PA and sail mostly in the Chesapeake.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Uh... I don't think I'd recommend those Teak interior battens for a mainsail.. of any type.

I suggest you remove and inspect your sail's battens.. measure the length, width and thickness.. note their shape..and start your search. Batten's come in many different sizes and configurations... here's a reliable source to get you started: Sailrite but don't be afraid to google "mainsail battens" yourself when you know what you need.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Beyond the dimension of the batten -- there are a variety of structural differences between battens of the same general shape dealing with the balance between flexibility, resistance/allowance for bending, damping of fluttering, ability to take "compression" without buckling, etc., etc.

In your Hunter 240, assuming you have the conventional battens, I'd avoid getting too wild. Try calling North, Quantum, or any of the sail manufacturers and ask them what they use.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@wisey2

Suggest posting your the hunter 240 battens under small boats where you will get more responses to include me as I was a former dealer who introduced all the hunter water ballast sailboats.
See ya there!

Crazy dave