Sail Balancing on a 9.2A

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
My North main sail has two reef sets, and I have a 100% working jib. In 30 knot winds I fair well with one reef in the main and the jib, however, I have to be handy with the sheet to dump excess air and I have to move traveler all the way out. So ya, the second reef is probably in order, but...what would be the next sized hank on jib for 30 knot winds...to mellow things out...say beam reach to windward? Would you break out a stay sail at 40 knots?

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Incidently.....the 100% jib is too much sail, even with a deep reef in 30+knot winds......in my opinion when my wife is around.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
So do you choose to sail much in 30 knot winds?
The Beaufort Scale was designed to help sailors categorize wind conditions. Your talking about wind speeds of near gale and gale force level.
EB4EE657-410F-4FF2-8806-8C3499073C0B.png
As the breeze freshen you may want to drop the main and sail under jib only. If still over powered then reef the jib.
Finally when winds exceed 50 knots run down wind bare poles dragging a sea anchor to manage your speed.
My guess is you’ll need to consider the sea/lake water conditions. At gale force level the water will be kicking up a bit of spray. And if a lake you’ll want to not find yourself running down wind towards a Lee shore.
Lots to consider.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I won't sail in those conditions, but 30 knots is just a windy day around here. Like I said, the working jib was just a bit too much sail for 30 knots but not out of the realm for good sailing. Iv looked at mast loading spread sheets for comparable boats.....it's all good, what sail would you throw up for a jib instead

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I just had to laugh...I saw myself running bare poles fighting the helm while on the phone with my insurance agent telling them where the Boat will be crashed up at

Oct 22, 2014
I have a 145 Genoa on my furler. I can roll it up to reduce the size.
When solo sometimes I use a 100% jib. It too can be rolled up to reduce the sail.
When wind gets up and I’m heading for the nearest harbor I can always strike the jib and main then put up a storm sail instead of the main.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I have a storm sail. I hanked it on in near Gale force..winds once with no main and I felt extremely under powered...especially tacking. An 80% jib might be a good size. 80% would be smaller right?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@unhinged schoolboy ,

Good evening! There are two ways to go with this, and, unfortunately, they both will cost you money. You can either buy a roller furler for your current jib and take the sail to a sailmaker and run a bolt rope through the luff, or buy a smaller 90% stays'l. I personally would go with the first one, but it of course depends on your budget. If you wanna go even better but more expensive, get a furler with a 135-145% genoa. That way, in light air, you can unfurl that sucker and get some more power when you need it, and have as much power as desired when things get kinda hairy. I've got a 135% genoa on my Catalina 25 and having that sail on a furler has saved me a lot of time and money for sure. I hope this helps!

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Interesting...bolt rope through luff....so a reef in the jib. I'm not opposed to buying a furler at all especially as I single hand 95% of the time but I also ninja out on the bow and hank sails on pretty easy....that will change in high seas granted...my prowess on the bow may find itself comfy in the cockpit with a curler line in hand

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
but 30 knots is just a windy day around here.
When I was a kid, living at Clearwater marina, we had a storm come through. The wind really picked up and it was kind of fun walking against the wind at about a 15 deg angle. I remember hearing the adults throwing guesstimates around like 50 knots, 60 knots of wind. I'd been out on our schooner in, what I thought was pretty good winds, upwards of 25 knots. These winds were a factor above, but I was skeptical of 50 knot winds, so I ventured to the marina building to check out the weather station expecting to see 40-45 knot winds, maybe pushing 50. What I read on their anemometer was 35 knots. That is a good blow.

When wind gets up and I’m heading for the nearest harbor
When winds get much above 35 knots, I would consider staying off-shore. That's when obstacles and shorelines with large breaking waves get more dangerous than open ocean. Imagine sailing into a marina in 45+ knots of wind? A good protected harbor is nice, but you got to get in there first. Head in, when you know it's coming, not so much after it's on you.

If you expect there to be a chance of that kinds of weather to sail in, consider a highly reduced storm sail of some sort. Bare poles gives up control. Even with an engine, a little sail is good.

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I agree...35 knot winds is a blow. Working on a combination barge in the gulf with Talor Diving and Salvage on more times I can count we had to lashed down equipment in 50 knot...sting your face....winds and ice cold pouring rain and pounding waves of warm sea water.
On our lake 30 knot winds bring 5 foot white capped waves pretty fast and working to wind is difficult but doable

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Ok. I saw a video of a fellow who had graumets across the foot of his jib and it was reefer to a pole...wisker pole maybe. I would rather put an autohelm on her now as opposed to a furler, setting the helm while I work the bow would be a luxury right now not to mention relaxing while sailing

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I'm going to install a detachable solent stay as close to my furler as possible. The 135 is ok when furled but really bunches, read inefficient and adding heeling forces, much past when clew is abeam the mast. Since my sheeting is from the tow rail the barber hauler has to be re-positioned when the clew nears the aft lower. PIA. With the solent I'll install tracks on the foredeck for the jib turning block or a self tacking system to keep the smaller jib at a good working angle.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I would rather put an autohelm on her now as opposed to a furler, setting the helm while I work the bow would be a luxury right now not to mention relaxing while sailing
I think that should be your number one priority if you single hand a lot.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Ill hold off on a new reduced sail area jib and wait till I get a furler and then get a 145% and redo the luff of my existing hank on jib.....thanks fellows

Oct 22, 2014
:plus: On the AP (autopilot) as a priority for sailing sans crew. It gives you many advantages. None the least is the ability to answer the call of nature with both hands.

Looking at the sail image in Sailboatdata.com of your boat.
10593380-6F25-432E-AD5A-83FBD647B5F0.jpeg You can see the design layout for 3 sail sizes. This is typical for a hank on jib.
As the sails get smaller the head of the jib sail gets closer to the deck. This is to reduce the sail area up high. Reduce the heeling force of high winds on the boat. I think your thought of a furler would be second on my list of functional features to make your solo sailing more manageable.
The issue identified by others is that the furler led sail is not as efficient as an unfurled sail. This is true. In part because the sail rolls up along the entire length pretty much at the same time. Just one of the many compromises we deal with on a sailboat.

Your boat also offers a breeze a bit of free board with the nice sweep to the bow. This becomes area for the wind to push the boat in high winds.

In high winds your not looking at racing the boat, as much as best ways to manage the boat and not loose the rigging.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I think your right Mark, it is exhausting, thats why I asked it. Put in 5 hrs and your going to be layed up the next day in recovery mode. So far, I have solid advise from 2 days of internet searching on a third reef in the main and a hanked on stay sail. A stay sail is very reasonable priced and adding a third reef is something I will ask when I take my main to the sail shop.
Perhaps I'm a little ambitious in my sailing endeavors but I watched a video about.....'why we sail in 30 knot winds'....and it resonated with me and inspired me to throw some canvas up and give it a try....thats why I bought my sweet angle from god. So, you fellow S2 9.2A owners can rest assured your angle darling will handle a 30 knor blow with the main deep reefed and a 100% hank on jib......but your going to work hard all day, wear gloves and keep the main sheet handy. I'm going to order a stay sail, get my 30 year old main sail to the loft and wait for the next good blow.