Sail area, what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
First and foremost thanks to Glenn for taking time here. I havent read into this many posts in a while. Hope you can continue to hang out Glenn.

Second, so with all this talk I got a bit bored and did some math, albiet public math.

By taking the I,J,P,E from my 336 manual, crosschecking it with the specs listed on this site, I come up with a total sail area of 575. That is what my manual says, and this site says.

So I do some comparison shopping. How is it that for instance, the 33 which has a smaller I,J,P,E boasts 50 more square feet of sail area? The 340 has over a 100 more. However, it has a arch mounted main, I dont, it doesnt have a high roach main, I do. It DOES have the same hull, mast, and jib that I do.

I dont get tired of blowing by these guys :) however, im pretty sure im not that good. Who is fudging their size? And im not talking about in the bar when your trying to pick up the pretty redhead!

MaineSail, maybe you need to hook up your 4 voltmeters to this one. As Kevin Bacon, who we are all related to said in Apollo 13... "hey I can add!".

I have no third point.

Cheers
Rick

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Rick,

That is another dilema we have with the B&R rig. Because the roach is so large we can (or have to) use the entire area including the roach. It is proportionly out of whack to compare the triangle measurements to a mast head rig. I think all manufacturers would like standardization regarding sail area. With computers is so easy to obtain actual sail area, I think we should use that.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
So your saying I probably have MORE sail area than I think, since measurements are more computerized now. Just agree Glenn :) It will make my day whether im right or not.

Cheers

ghen

Mar 15, 2009
2 216 St. Augustine
Have a good day, you are correct. In the "old days" , the triangular measurements were use because the roach was so small.

Status
Not open for further replies.