sagging cabin liner problem 90's era boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2011
Beneteau First 210 North East River Yacht Club
Looking for guidance on the following issue:

I’m seriously considering buying a 1994 B-First 210. Hull and such in great shape but as you may know, many 90s era boats used a vinyl liner in the cabin and over time the foam/adhesive back decomposes and you end up with a ‘sagging’ head and/or wall liner. (and nasty exposed crumbled adhesive walls).

I’ve called various Beneteau dealers and get conflicting answers from rip it out, scrape and paint the cabin white; to remove, prep and replace with same liner and new adhesive (or screw up with counter-sunk screws and planks of wood); to use the old vinyl as a template and put in new vinyl. Uggh!

Just wondering if you have ever heard of this issue on any boat, or from the description above and links below if you have any suggestions. (help please.).

Also do you know of any marina in the area (Maryland) qualified to do cabin liner repairs? Does not need to be perfect (we are day-sailors, not cruisers). Just want a good, long-term solution and it’s ok if we end up with the hardware exposed (painting option). I don’t have the time or skill and would like to hire someone.

Here is the boat I’m looking at (not this exact one but very similar one in New Jersey). If you scroll down you’ll see the starboard liner just starting to sag—on the boat I’m considering it’s all the way off on one side already and the headliner sagging too: http://www.sailingtexas.com/sbeneteau21102.html

Post about a boat with a similar problem.: http://www.beneteau235.com/headliner.htm

Thank you very much!!
Jeff and Christine Ronald (and Ian—age 8—did sailing camp at our club last year :)

North East, MD

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Yes Beneteaus for sure used a vinyl headliner that some over time did indeed to sag. As you've heard you either have to replace it, remove it and paint, or use some other form of replacement. Not sure where in NJ you're looking at the boat but Winters Sailing in Riverside, NJ is the local Beneteau dealer and should be able to either do some sort of repair on it or refer you to someone in the area that can. Their number is 856-461-3555 or toll free 866-452-9775. www.winterssailing.com

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
headliner replacement

Hi Jeff;
This isn't really a marine services issue. Suggest you talk to an auto upholstery shop (have photos with you). This is akin to replacing a car headliner. You still won't like the price, but upholstery guys deal with this all the time on old cars.
Best,
Gunni

UPSGUY

Jan 9, 2011
Catalina 22 Bayville NY
My brother is dealing with this issue right now on a Lockley -Newport. His solution was wood grained vinyl laminate.
He cut the pieces to size and shape and heated them to make contours. They are held in with a vinyl glue.
The effect looks really pretty good and much better than the cloth liner that was there.

jplm

Jul 28, 2009
2 Oceanis 351 Victoria Harbour
Sagging cabin

When I was searching for the boat I have now I viewed a 90s era Beneteau and the owner had the same problem. He had removed all of the liners but had never gotten around to replacing the vinyl. It was all bare fiberglass. That would obviously result in the condensation problems that the vinyl is meant to address. I agree that this is a reupholstery issue but anyone with chemical sensitivies would be stuck with gassing off for some time and that was one reason that I did not buy the boat.
The difficulty with laminate is that it can be very sensitive to moisture and if it gets wet it sometimes has to be replaced. Good old wood is probably best.

Status
Not open for further replies.