Safety Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jon Bastien

Hello everyone, I recently purchased a boat that stays on a mooring ball most of the time; This means I will be using a dinghy a lot to get back and forth. My dinghy ride is about a mile through a crowded harbor. My question: What kind of safety equipment do you carry on your dinghy? I'm putting together 2 dryboxes that I plan on stocking with the following equipment: - Flashlight - Multi-purpose tool (Leatherman, or similar) - Small anchor (i.e., 2-lb PWC type- Just enough to keep me from washing out with the tide) with about 100' of line - 2 Handheld flares - 2 Self-contained aerial flares (no need to carry a flare gun) - 1 Liter of water - 1 Large towel (Can be used as blanket, sun shade, rag, bandages...) - 1 small air horn (or maybe whistle) ...And enough room left over to carry a handheld VHF. There is also a small fire extinguisher mounted on the dinghy, along with all the other USCG required equipment. Am I missing anything? --Jon Bastien H23 '2 Sheets to the Wind' H25 'Adagio'

M

Melody Miller

Sounds good

Hi Jon: I guess the flashlight will serve to make you visible at dusk and dawn? Perhaps an extra line if you need towing. Otherwise sounds about right. Melody

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Dinghy stuff...

Jon, I would add a compass, and I would replace the flashlight with one of the rechargable search lights (something like 500,000cp). This is good for attracting attention where the flashlight might get missed. I would definitely carry a little airhorn, not a whistle, and I would make sure that your VHF is either submersible or that it is in a dry bag that will allow use with removing the radio from it. I have a long dinghy ride too, and my list is not quite as comprehensive as yours, but I think you'll find that its comforting to have all that stuff with you when the engine dies, the storm comes, and the drunk boaters are trying to run you down. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

D

Don Fitzpatrick

Shear pins

An essential in any dinghy bag is spare shear pins for the outboards prop. I hit "something" submerged once which broke the pin in my prop and had to row only 1/2 a mile but against a 3 knot current and 20mph breeze. Not an easy task in an inflatable. I now always carry spare pins and the tools to fix it in my bag (that is not as complete as yours).

S

SteveC

Also bring 'ships papers' for

the local gendarmes. I borrowed the club's dink once to clean my waterline & was pulled over. The only thing the dink had was an anchor & you should have heard the crap I listened to..... Thought they were gonna execute me..

G

Gary Nichols

Other Equipment

Ahoy Jon: Great list, one thing that could be important is something to bail with! A one gallon plastic milk container, with 1/2 the top cut away, would be good. Fair winds to you Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.