Safe to start outboard while out of the water?

Oct 22, 2022
Catalina 22 Salt Lake City
I was given a 1989 22 Catalina with an outboard motor. I would like to make sure that it runs. Is it safe to start the motor for brief periods while it is out of the water? I'm assuming it cools itself with fresh water while the boat is in the water. I would think that as long as I shut it down within a few minutes it would be OK to start it.

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
You can put it in a trash can of water to test it. Depending on the motor, you can also connect a garden hose to it with outboard water muffs for about $20. These do not fit all engines.

Oct 22, 2022
Will the muffs allow the engine to be started out of the water? I assume they circulate the needed water, correct?

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Will the muffs allow the engine to be started out of the water? I assume they circulate the needed water, correct?
Yes, make sure you have the water running before you start it. Water should come out of the pee hole on the motor right after it starts.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I was given a 1989 22 Catalina with an outboard motor. I would like to make sure that it runs.
When I purchased my 2.5 HP Suzuki a few years ago, it reqired a few hours of break-in time. I placed it in a plastic garbage container, filled with water, to accomplish the breakin

Oct 22, 2022
BigEasy...Thanks. I bought the muffs but the trash can might be easier. Amazon makes it easy to return them if I decide to go the trash can route.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I've ran my outboard out of the water at idle for more hours than I can remember. There was very little wear on the impeller three years later when I replaced it as preventative maintenance

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
When I purchased my 2.5 HP Suzuki a few years ago, it reqired a few hours of break-in time. I placed it in a plastic garbage container, filled with water, to accomplish the breakin
That's not really an effective break-in. It should be run under load, at varying loads and motor speeds.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
That's not really an effective break-in. It should be run under load, at varying loads and motor speeds.
Well, I did run it at varying speeds in gear. Maybe not as good as in water, but I didn't have time to fart around for 3-4 hours in water, breaking in the motor.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Well, I did run it at varying speeds in gear. Maybe not as good as in water, but I didn't have time to fart around for 3-4 hours in water, breaking in the motor.
I see. Well, it's hard or perhaps impossible to load a motor up in a bucket, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
That's baloney. Ask me how I know.
OK, I'M ASKING. how do you know that all outboard engines will not possibly destroy the impeller when run dry.

especially one that has sat for some time.

this is great! can't wait for your answer, jon

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you've ever had an outboard in heavy waves you know three seconds out of the water isn't uncommon. Chances are the motor is at 30% or higher throttle

JBP-PA

Apr 29, 2022
Jeanneau Tonic 23 Erie, PA
A brief out of water experience is not going to ruin an impeller, it's still wet. A brand new impeller that was lubricated upon installation will take a long while to burn up. An old dried out impeller might self destruct in a minute or two. Then again, impellers are not that expensive nor hard to replace, if you want to run them dry, have at it.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
if the impeller shreds and goes into cooling water ways, might plug them up. then over heating damage, then big money repairs. oh no!

play it safe. never run a dry impeller, ever!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
OK, I'M ASKING. how do you know that all outboard engines will not possibly destroy the impeller when run dry.

especially one that has sat for some time.

this is great! can't wait for your answer, jon
I'm asserting that empirically. I have run outboards for much longer than 3 seconds out of the water with no perceptible damage to the impeller. I'll have you know that I've rebuilt several lower ends, including replacing the impellers, and of those motors run dry occasionally, haven't detected any impeller damage.

I might ask you, how do you know that "unless you hook up water to cool it. you will destroy the water impeller in 3 seconds?" Do you have any evidence, citations, experience, etc., to support this assertion? I doubt it. But, I'm all ears.