Sad Note

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
And deploy the gator repellent, where applicable.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Hopefully She is found alive with a PFD on.:pray:
I wonder what size boat they were sailing?
Winds were gusty on Sunday, but relatively light.
Jim...

PS: No gators in Lake Ponchartrain in that area. Normally brackish water.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Sad for sure.
When we go swimming, we ALWAYS throw out our horseshoe ring attached to a 100 foot line.

Apparently the dude has not said much yet. Quite possible she fell off and started to go under... he jumped in as the the only way to save her, even if it meant the boat might get away. Will have to wait to hear.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Yeah, Jackdaw, I found that very interesting that he has not spoken a word. Not pointing fingers, but usually there is a reason for going overboard be it swimming, safety, or just for the fun of it.

Nov 8, 2010
Yeah, Jackdaw, I found that very interesting that he has not spoken a word. Not pointing fingers, but usually there is a reason for going overboard be it swimming, safety, or just for the fun of it.
Maybe he has, and has been a model of cooperation to the cops.. but they have not released any of that yet. Or simply bad reporting. They seemed much more interesting in the prayers than the facts.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
No mast? Do I see an anchor line? Or a float of some type off the bow at deck level.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
De-masted and no standing rigging. :confused:
That boat size should have taken the wind and waves.
Perhaps a localize Water Spout?
Jim...

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
We use a drag line with multiple 5” buoys on it and a float at the end. We hang onto it whenever we are in the water. Our trimaran really scoots along even on bare poles.
Sounds like this situation is different though. Not a pleasure swim.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Would not be unusual for the Coasties to pick up the anchor and drop the sails.. My take on it is that they got out to cool off and had some ideas about entertainment while swimming naked.. WHOOPS.. we forgot to put down the swim ladder before we dove in.. how are we gonna get back aboard? Stay here while I swim to shore.

Nov 8, 2010
Its a C&C for sure. I had a 35, that looks closer to 40. But not de-masted. That 'boat' was being used without a mast. All C&Cs are keel stepped. No way you lose a keel-stepped rig that cleanly.

Things were a royal bitch to board without the swim-ladder down before you got in. Once in the water almost impossible to deploy it.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
As of 7 Aug, 17:30 NOPD reports that captain is cooperating with detectives and foul play is not suspected; however, they are pursuing all possibilities. Meanwhile USCG, Orleans & Jefferson Parish marine patrols, as well as LA Wildlife & Fisheries marine division continue to search for the missing woman. Nothing being released by officials regarding cause of mishap. Captain was in water for approximately 18 hours and was found holding onto a crap trap float.

Last edited:

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
RE: making a swim ladder deploy from the water: our swim ladder had a curved SS clamp that held it in position 'up' against the rear transom. one had to flip the clamp up from the cockpit to let the ladder descend into the water. we attached a small single block with a line to the rear stern rail , and a line was run through the block. one end was seized to the clamp and the other end run down to just above the water line. the water end had a loop on it and was reachable from the water. a yank on the line from the water pulled the clamp up and let the ladder drop into the water . it was great fun for the kids to figure out how it worked.... and a big help in getting out of the water.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Body of the missing woman in the Lake Pontchartrain mishap was recovered on Tuesday night around 1900.
Officials are still not commenting on cause of the incident.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Sad. Her picture showed a vibrant person. Sorry for her family and friends.​

Nov 8, 2010
Quoted from local news:

"Thibodeaux and a friend went for a sailboat ride on Sunday in Lake Pontchartrain, then decided to take a swim. Because their boat was not anchored, they lost sight of the boat. Thibodeaux's friend was found alive nearly 13 hours after crews found their unmanned sailboat."

The two were supposedly platonic friends The boat was found with the ladder down and towels on the rail, so it sure looks like they went swimming. But how the boat managed to get away from them is a total mystery, or a candidate for the Darwin Award of the Year. They didn't anchor, and didn't have a drag line deployed. The dude is 'sailing' a 40 year hull without a rig. Leaves fenders out. I assume lights off. Not super clever.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I had not seen the info on the towels or the ladder being down.. but that is what I suspected all along.. they went in to escape some of the local heat.. and didn't put down anchor or safety line with float.. some gusts from a nearby thunder-bumper set the boat on her way.. There is a big boatyard near where they found the boat.. may have pulled mast … then decided to go on a boat ride.. Tragic and sad..

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Very sad. What a terrible event. A boat can move away quickly. Always put out a drag line. I always stay near the boat and near the drag line.