Sad news: Patrick Childress has passed.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Patrick and Rebecca Childress are beloved icons of the cruising community. In his 20’s, Patrick sailed around the world on a Catalina 27. Together, they have been cruising around the world while writing and you-tubing for many years. Today, Patrick passed away, after they both contracted Covid-19 during a shore visit for supplies in South Africa. Rebecca recovered from the virus.

I will miss him. My heart goes out to Rebecca.

You can read Rebecca’s updates on his condition at Childress COVID Care organized by Leanne Coffman

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Rebecca's posts about Patrick's illness are touching. Patrick will be missed by the cruising community. Patrick and Rebecca are on par with the Hiscock's and Pardey's.

His videos are always informing.

May 26, 2020
Beneteau First 405 Dexter NY
So sad to hear he passed. Patrick was so informative and we appreciated his videos. Thoughts and prayers to Rebecca...

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
He will be missed. Patrick lived and shared the adventures I always dreamed about but never managed to live.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have enjoyed his videos. He was an enjoyable sailor to hear his stories.
He had so many great stories.
So sad.
May he have fair winds to guide his soul.
My tears and prayers are shed for his family.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have added that gofundme page to the internet archive so that the story of what they went through is available for as long as possible.

Having run into 2 people over the last week who think that Covid19 is like the seasonal flu, Rebecca's personal posts, and their need for help after their health insurance was denied makes me sadder and more frustrated with the world.

With luck people will read that page and learn.