Sad Death

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Responsible parties (employers, commands) retained guys like me, a confined space supervisor and made it my duty to determine the nature of the work space, the hazards, who and how any worker would enter that space. Confined space work can be expensive and tedious so part of my job was offering expert advice on how to eliminate the confined space. In this case cutting away the shrink and getting better ventilation to reduce CO and LEL would likely have done the job and prevented a death.

Which brings up another point depending on the boat fuel source carbon monoxide would not have been the only concern. We lose more boaters to bilges reaching explosive limits than CO.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
what's the difference between a marine co detector and a home detector?
Home units provide an instant read of CO concentrations and alarm at a set level. Marine units have a more sophistocated design that calculates Time Weighted Averages (TWA) that only alarm when the cumulative amount of CO exposure has reached dangerous levels.

You are constantly exposed to CO gas in boat world. If your detector went off everytime it got a hit you would be tempted to deactivate it. TWA function solves that issue.