Sad day, and no way to fix

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
As a matter of a couple of hours ago I lost my sailboat. We got a very abrupt tornado warning. I pretty much immediately went down into the basement. After about 5 minutes, I heard a very loud crash. After about 15 minutes, I came back upstairs to see a very large Oak branch 1000lbs+. had fallen. After about another 20 minutes, it looked safe to go outside. My sailboat is crushed. The cabin roof is completely collapsed. Apparently the windows on the side of the boat appear to have been blown out from the impact. One of the windows was almost completely in tact, laying next to the boat. I'm not even sure how to get the branch off the boat. The bad news is I don't see replacing it anytime soon. I just bought a house, so all my spare funds are spoken for. No insurance, as the financial value was not that significant. The sad part is, I realize I was a bit attached to that boat. I've put a bit of work into it. It was a perfect boat for me. It was fast, light, responsive. Just big enough, but not too big. These boats are rare, so difficult to replace directly. As far as getting enything else, about the only thing I could get interested in would be a Farrier, which will always be out of my price range.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Bummer. Sorry for your loss.

Those were some big storms that blew through the Chicagoland area.

Stopping by my marina first thing tomorrow to check on my boat. I guess the tornado sirens went off at the marina.

Greg

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Geez. So sorry to hear of your loss. We do get attached to our boats. Get the branch off and take another look.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Your homeowners insurance could cover the boat. Did you have it listed on that policy?

Sep 20, 2014
I already called the insurance agent. My homeowners does not cover the boat or even the cost of getting rid of the "branch". I'm a little afraid or cutting it up, as there are several branches off the main branch. These side branches are probably a foot in diameter. The main branch is about probably 3 feet in diameter. The side branches are supporting the main branch, so I'm a little afraid of having something snap and fall on me.

Resized_20200810_161411_4829.jpeg

Resized_20200810_170148_381.jpeg

Resized_20200810_161420_744.jpeg

Resized_20200810_161428_8568.jpeg

Resized_20200810_161443_5774.jpeg

Huge branch. The pictures don't show the bow, but it is broken through as well. That branch is still attached. There is some pretty thick wood that is still attached to the trunk and folded over. I can't imagine the stress that is under.

srimes

Jun 9, 2020
Macgregor 26D Brookings
Oh that sucks bro! I lost a boat the exact same way back in Arkansas. Big oak tree flattened it. Major bummer after fixing the boat up just the way I wanted.

Be careful with cleanup. That's a big job with dangerous forces.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My condolences. That really sucks. That was a big storm. Tornadoes were spotted in the Western burbs. My dock neighbor was in his boat the whole time. He said he was heeled over 45 degrees while in his slip at Montrose Harbor

Sep 20, 2014
My second issue is to see if I can find someone who wants the Oak for lumber and will remove it for free or nearly free. Not sure how to find a tree service that will buy Oak.

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Really sorry I know the attachment we develop for our boats.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
That is sad news. I remember when you bought the boat. You directed me to a link about antipodal boatbuilding. I know that boat was very special to you.
I would think the wood has enough value, even for firewood, that someone would remove it for free. My wife's daughter lost an Oak tree on LI. The town took away the cut up wood. They had to get a landscape company to cut it up.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I already called the insurance agent. My homeowners does not cover the boat or even the cost of getting rid of the "branch"....
I can understand the boat not being covered, if it wasn't specifically scheduled (insurance speak for "listed in the policy") but not covering a downed tree (or partial tree) is silly. I know it is not at the top of your list of things to do right now, but I'd started looking for another insurance company.

If and when you get the new coverage, make sure you specifically schedule things like golf clubs, sporting equipment (canoes, kayaks, sailboards, tennis racquets, pickleball paddles, gear bags, etc.), guns, artwork, and jewelry. Items in all of these categories usually have little to no coverage against loss unless specifically scheduled. Covering them (and make sure it is at their replacement value) only costs a little more.

Find out what the limit is on lost cash, too, and whether that limit can be raised - again at extra cost. I'm sure in these unsettled times that a lot of people are keeping some extra cash at home, and if you were to lose the house to a disaster, that cash would be lost also.

Sep 20, 2014
Their comment about not covering a downed tree was that hey you can't be covered for every tree "limb" that falls down in a woods. Seemed like an odd response in the context of this being a neighborhood, on a 3rd of an acre. If I can't find someone who wants the wood, it will be a major expense to get rid of it. As such, I thought that is what insurance is for - to protect from major catastrophic/costly events.

Dr. D

Nov 3, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 35.1 Herrington Harbour North
So sorry to hear of your loss.

You should contact a tree service for an estimate of cutting up and removing the "branch". May not be as bad as you think and that will be a dangerous job.

Sep 20, 2014
I was just out there looking it over again. One of the very large branches is split on top, so I'm not convinced of its stability. I don't think I can do anything. I finally was able to clear enough small stuff away to see inside the boat. Its much worse than first seen. One branch busted through and broke the base of the swing keel trunk. I'm trying to figure out how to get into the cabin and salvage my 86 lbs thrust trolling motor and my AutoPilot. Those are two items that could be easily broken that I'd rather not loose.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I was just out there looking it over again. One of the very large branches is split on top, so I'm not convinced of its stability. I don't think I can do anything. I finally was able to clear enough small stuff away to see inside the boat. Its much worse than first seen. One branch busted through and broke the base of the swing keel trunk. I'm trying to figure out how to get into the cabin and salvage my 86 lbs thrust trolling motor and my AutoPilot. Those are two items that could be easily broken that I'd rather not loose.
Can you safely cut another hole in the boat to get it out? I know of a wood shop that uses a lot of cut down trees to make furniture. Next time I see them I'll ask if they're interested. It might be a week or two

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
Just reading your description made me wince, Daveinet! So sorry about your boat!