S37 Rudder Info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Do any of you with a S37 have any experience with the internals of the rudder on these boats. I recently went hard aground in some rough weather, and the boat got pounded quite a bit. Now the rudder feels very strange, and does not respond well. What it does is it seems that the first 1/4 or so turn of the wheel does nothing, then a little more wheel and it turns pretty quickly. A visual inspection in relatively clear water reveals no apparent damage. Post not obviously bent, rudder not broken or torn up. I am thinking that the rudder itself is now partially loose on the rudder post. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows of the internal makeup of the rudder itself. I am assuming that there are brackets or tabs welded to the post and maybe these are broken or bent. I had read on this forum that someone with a 25 had a similar problem, and they stated that the stainless rudder post on their boat had aluminum tabs/brackets welded to the stainless post, and the aluminum had deteriorated. That doesn't sound good, or likely, but if anyone knows what is inside one, please let me know. I would like to have some idea of what I'm up against, before I have to pull the boat to fix whatever is wrong.

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
The rudder shaft is 304 stainless pipe with either aluminum pins or stainless pins slid through holes bored in the main shaft. To the best of my recollection they were 3/4" diameter.
The pipe shaft and pins were laminated to one side of the rudder shell the other side of the rudder shell was bonded to the shaft side with polyester putty about 4" around the perimeter, then glassed on the exterior.
The repair would be to split the rudder, inspect the shaft assembly, renew the shaft and pins as required and re laminate. (304 stainless in the absence of Oxygen may have crevice corrosion damage inside the rudder shell)
I was with Seidelmann till 84 or 85, I believe they went to Foss Foam rudders some time after I left

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
thanks

Thanks surveyor,
Got out there today, and I can move the rudder about 20 degrees, without the post moving. Was pretty sure I had broken the rudder loose from the post by the way the boat acted. Couple of weeks I'll get that puppy outta the water, and see what I need to do to repair. Your info gives me an idea of what I will have to do. At least it comes at a good time. Sailing here in La. is kinda on hold now anyway, because of the oil spill in the gulf.

May 11, 2006
- - Sarasota, FL
Let's make two

If you decide to buld a new rudder I would like to be involved and make a few. My rudder is waterlogged and I anticipate the same faulure you have encountered.

Nathan 813 462 3549

Thanks surveyor,
Got out there today, and I can move the rudder about 20 degrees, without the post moving. Was pretty sure I had broken the rudder loose from the post by the way the boat acted. Couple of weeks I'll get that puppy outta the water, and see what I need to do to repair. Your info gives me an idea of what I will have to do. At least it comes at a good time. Sailing here in La. is kinda on hold now anyway, because of the oil spill in the gulf.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
Re: Let's make two

phillip--you mentioned you wanted to shorten the length of your rudder--did ye think maybe adding some to the for/aft parts to widen it might also help with reduction of weather helm?? just wondered as we kept getting caught out in it and was soo hard to control for me--i was advised my ericson might benefit from that treatment--but i havent had the excuse to take mine apart as yet.....
oh,yeah...i would allow you to sail here in the pacific if you wanted to do that....i got room in my boat for another sailor.....want to get it to mazatlan....

Status
Not open for further replies.