S25 Rudder Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2008
Seidelmann S25 Cape Marina
I am looking for the rudder schmatics for a 1979 Seidelmann 25. I am the new proud owner of the Deja Vu and am hard into rebuilding her. The main rudder shaft is degraded after 20 years in the ocean. I need to remove the Rudder and remount the main shaft.

RayK

Aug 17, 2005
Seidelmann 25 Bedford
Cyrus,

I have hull 47 a 1978. I have replaced the rudder shaft last winter with 1 7/8" stainless steel heavy wall tubing. The wooden rudder is made in 2 pieces fore and aft of rudder shaft with bolts from leading edge, through shaft and into trailing section - You can find wood plugs in the leading edge. Dig out the plugs, unbolt the nuts and separate the two halves. The wood in my rudder was pretty much intact, I jointed each half to get clean surface and "honed" out the area which fits the shaft - I used a 1.75" rotary sanding sleeve fitted to a hand drill. This didn't give a perfect fit, but cleaned up enough wood to get a reasonable fit. I refit both halfs with a thick bedding of epoxy and micro ballons to fill the gap. Clamped and bolted until cured. Fully sanded the wood and covered whole rudder with think fiberglass cloth - two layers with overlapped joints. Sanded first layer smooth before adding the second layer of cloth. Be very careful to squeegy out most of the resin on each coat. Sand overlapped joints fair and apply another layer or two of resin with sanding in between. Goal is to get a fair surface without any glass being uncovered. Paint with bottom coat, a couple of thin coats. Rudder was perfect when hauled out for the winter. I really need a new rudder tube and that will come this spring. You can find it chandlers and should be simple matter of cutting out the old from below deck. Again, probably will need to "hone" the upper and lower opening to fit the new tube.
Good luck.

RayK

Sep 11, 2009
seidelmann s25 Burlington
quetion: is the rudder design for the "inboard" powered hull the same as for the outboard? I ask thiis since becoming aware that the outboard hull boasts an extension of the keel faiiring into the rudder. the inboard hulls lack this, needing thiis space to accommodate the propellor. it seems to me that the rudder is rather too sensitive in my inboard equipped s25, that handling/steering could benefit from a longer trailing surface (or reduced leading surface), this to make up for the absence of the stabiliziing effect the keel extension offers in the "outboard" hull. (?)

Thanks, Karl

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Karl

I would love to see a picture I don't remember building any with a modification of the skeg for inboard power. Very few inboard 25s were built, the strut was mounted below the skeg like the 299 and 30T. There was one OMC sail drive built, I'm not sure what we did with the skeg on that one.

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.