S25 Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2011
Seidalmann S25 Beaufort
Helllo All;

I just purchased my first sailboat. It is an S25. Needs bulkheads glassed in, hull paint, and a full interior. Anyone have interior pics? Would like to know what it can look like when finished. Any suggestions on bottom paint?

I am in Beaufort SC.

Thanks,

Bill

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Google Seidelman 25 and you will see interior, exterior, profiles, S25 for sale with more pictures. All you want.

Sep 5, 2011
Seidalmann S25 Beaufort
I tried that before I posted. Alot of links are broken. Some of the onrs forsale are in the same shape or worse than mine.

I am trying to keep a $4,000 DIY budget. Should be able to start working on the hull this week coming up. I need to fill in some pits in the hull and bottom paint with epoxy and then sand it smooth. I figure 2-4 weeks just to accomplish that. Then I can paint the hull.

This boat came with a factory inboard. I want to leave it out and use an outboard. How do I go about this? Are there any holes I need to fill? I know I need to install an outboard mounting plate.

Lastly, I need to glass in the bulkheads. What does this entail? Not looking for step by step instructions just some hints, tricks and things to look out for.

Thanks;

Bill

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Back in 1980 I bought hull #1 of the Seidelman 30 c/b series. The deck and bulkhead had separated because of the standing rigging tension. The halyards were led to blocks on deck and that also tended to lift the deck. I ground both bulkhead and deck ceiling and glassed in 6"strip of glass all the way across. Then a spreader beam was bolted to the bulkhead going from chain plate to chain plate. It lasted for the life of the boat and never once had the same problem. You can find how to do glass work on line.
If you remove the engine, then you might as well remove the through hull and shaft and glass those penetrations. Unless the engine intake shares with another system. In mine it was the also the sink drain. Also eliminate the exhaust through hull.
There are numerous engine brackets on the market. Need one that swings up/down because of the stern being so narrow and high off the water.
I googled Seidelman 25 and there is a picture of one wit. an outboard installed

Sep 5, 2011
Seidalmann S25 Beaufort
The engine was removed when I got the boat. It is rebuilt and sitting on a homemade engine stand. I assume you mean the prop shaft. It is also removed. The person I bought her from said it was salt water cooled. It is one of the first to come up under the search. I have seen plenty of exterior pics not many interior. Not much standing room in the S25 though.

Bill

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I just Googled Seidelman 25 and one of the sites shows the original brochure with shots of the interior.Good shots of the interior. Also with an outboard. Is the engine an Atomic 4? If it is already rebuilt, it is worth decent money. As a minimum an outboard with electric start and remote cables.

Sep 5, 2011
Seidalmann S25 Beaufort
I have the 3 different sales brochures saved on my pc. I am not looking for layout pics. Was hoping to see different design ideas. Is there a way to post pics here? I am going to climb back in and take some pics in an hour or so. It is a 7 hp Yanmar diesel.

Sep 5, 2011
Seidalmann S25 Beaufort
How do I tell if the blisters are in the paint or in the fiberglass? It looks like they are in the paint to me. I ask because I got a price quote of $400 to paint the hull if the blisters are in the paint from a semi-local marina.​

Sep 5, 2011
Seidalmann S25 Beaufort
If I end up getting the bottom painted for $400, it should only cost another $200-$300 to glass in the bulkheads. The original inboard has been rebuilt and came with the boat. It just needs a prop shaft. I can get a used 9.9 hp longshaft outboard for $300 in running condition. That puts me about $1,000 total if I do not use the inboard. I have not priced the prop shaft but the PO said he found them online for $125.
I also get to sell the 35 ft sailboat trailer that came with this boat. If I get at least $1,000 I will break even. The standing and running rigging is all new.

Status
Not open for further replies.