S2 Owners UNITE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Harpoon 5.2 Honolulu, HI
I'm the new owner of a 1986 27, boat has been the property of a college for their 'faculty boat' for the past 10 years so they have kept it sailing but totally let it go inside. I think after a rehab I should have a very nice and quick boat though!

Apr 28, 2011
S2 8.0 B Sanford
We live aboard a 1977 S2 8.0 in Sanford, FL we are learning to sail and upgrading her all the tome! Love the boat and so does everybody that sees her!

Nov 8, 2004
Cape Dory 30 Ketch Kemah, Texas
If you have to do a lot with the steering I suggest you replace the cables as everyone always uses them way longer than Edson recommends. They should be replaced about every ten years per Edson, but most never have been replaced...including mine! But if you are halfway there anyway, consider it, but note that new cables will stretch and be a hassle short term.
I had to replace my whole steering system as it rusted out and fell apart just after I bought the S2 8.5. I had a little trouble lining up the cable from the pedestal pulley to the rudder pulley. The previous owner had placed a large spacer under the pedestal to line it up. I added two puleys just in front of the rudder pedestal to push the cables down so they line up perfectly and not have wear on the cables due to misallignment. It was quite a job as room is limited on a 8.5. I also rebuilt the pedestal.

Nov 8, 2004
Cape Dory 30 Ketch Kemah, Texas
Yes they really look nice when restored. I just finished all the teak inside with 6 coats of varnish. Very pretty!

Dec 4, 2011
S2 9.2C Greater Toronto Area
S2 9.2C in Greater Toronto Area

Looking for other S2 owners - who's gonna raise their hands?
I purchased an S2 9.2C, ex-San Diego December 2010, put it on a trailer, and moved it to Canada. Has Yanmar 3YM20, newish (2006) rigging, and is currently in my driveway in the Greater Toronto Area while I refit it. Currently have interior removed and have most teak sanded & varathaned. Lots of projects ongoing - maybe too many to have it launched till 2013!

Randall

Dec 8, 2011
S2 8.0 C Baltimore
Happy owner of a sailing project boat. My 8.0 C is so much fun, until something breaks and then it is way loads of fun!!!! I wouldn't put much effort in this boat sve for the fact that she sails well and is hell for stout, crying out for good TLC and some creative solutions to certain issues. The cockpit drains emptying into a glassed in mini bilge tray is a PITA once if freeze fractures. Still chasing down all the leaks in there.

Jan 22, 2008
S2 S2 9.2A Sarnia Ontario, CA ON
I have an 83 9.2A as well Kalamazoo/Sarnia Ont

have a '83 9.2A in Holland....would like to share notes with you
I have the same vessel as yours and we love it. We have owned it since 1985 and currently sail it in Southern Lake Huron although we live in Kalamazoo. Love the boat. We can trade war stories on S2 boat owning "challenges". But I love the S2. When we bought her she was 2 yrs old but only had 8 hours on the engine. I could not have asked for a better boat over the years.

Last edited:

rich67

Aug 8, 2011
S2 9.2a 1977 muskegon
I have an 77 s2 9.2a , 3rd owner, atomic 4. grey in color.. sailed all over great lakes. home port great lakes marina, muskegon lake, muskegon, mi. owned since 1995..

Status
Not open for further replies.