S2 Owners UNITE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Me! I'd vote we raise our sails instead...but mine are in the closet in the cellar right now :redface:

Scup

May 18, 2004
S2 27 Southern Lake Michigan
Looking for other S2 owners - who's gonna raise their hands?
Me. 1987 S2 27, hull #80 (out of 85). Former 7.3 owner. Sailing grounds: Southern Lake Michigan.

--Dave S.

Feb 1, 2010
Hunter 33.5 El Dorado Lake, Kansas
I've got 1977 S2 8.0b in Kansas and we love it so far. It's new to us this year.

Jan 17, 2009
2 9.2/C Rockford, MI
I have a 1979 S2 9.2/c

My Wife and I bought her in San diego in 2001. In late 2004 I had a custom trailer built for her and brought her home to Phoenix. This coming september we will be moving her to Muskegon, Michigan. We will live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I can't wait to sail "SevenSundays" again!

I should also ,mention a friend has a S2 7.3 that we sail on Lake Pleasant, here in Phoenix. Her name is "Seatopia".

Andy Greever

Last edited:
May 2, 2008
S2 9.2C 1980 St. Leonard (Chesapeake Bay), MD
My wife and I took possession of our 1980 9.2C on May 10, 2008. Although it was in good shape there were the usual little things that needed attention/repair/replacement. Then there were the not so little things on the old Yanmar that needed replacement and eventually (this past winter) the Yanmar was replaced with a Beta-Marine. If/when the weather cooperates we are hoping to do some overnight cruises on the Chesapeake (our marina is about a 5 minute motor from the bay). My long term goal is to go down the 'ditch' (ICW) to at least the Carolinas.

I had been dreaming of owning a 9.2C since first seeing one in the '80s. I believe they are the largest 30 foot boat out there.

Mar 29, 2010
S2 9.2A MI
have a '83 9.2A in Holland....would like to share notes with you

I have a 1979 S2 9.2/c

My Wife and I bought her in San diego in 2001. In late 2004 I had a custom trailer built for her and brought her home to Phoenix. This coming september we will be moving her to Muskegon, Michigan. We will live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

I can't wait to sail "SevenSundays" again!

I should also ,mention a friend has a S2 7.3 that we sail on Lake Pleasant, here in Phoenix. Her name is "Seatopia".

Andy Greever

Jan 17, 2009
2 9.2/C Rockford, MI
Feel free to PM me.

Actually I probably have more questions for you about Michigan and Great Lakes sailing in general.

Thanks
Andy Greever

Mar 29, 2010
S2 9.2A MI
Lake Michigan and environs

Feel free to PM me.

Actually I probably have more questions for you about Michigan and Great Lakes sailing in general.

Thanks
Andy Greever

I just brought my 9.2a over from Chicago 10 days ago in the cold...should have waited! I have cruised Lake MI many times and there are great harbors to visit every 20 miles or so. We often sail at night to reach a new destination and enjoy the day around the harbor- dunes, etc

RussB

Nov 3, 2007
S2 9.2A Bay City MI
I have a 1979 9.2A based in Rogers City MI. We purchased Auslese from the original owners in 2007. We have been cruising northern Lake Huron, including Ontario's North Channel. The North Channel is amazing!

May 8, 2010
S2 11.0A Racine, WI
I have an 11.0A in Racine, WI at Reefpoint Marina. Email me if you are in the area, we can go for a swim in the pool :)

Mar 13, 2005
S2 6.8 Mansfield, OH
(raising hand) Me! I've got two 6.8's, a 1979 - hull #130, and a 1976 (project) - hull #22.

I sail in Ohio mostly--Lake Erie and clearfork Reservoir.

My dad has a 6.8 and so does my brother--hull #'s 113 and 99.

There's also a 6.8 docked at Clearfork right now, owned by Mark Boyd who may see this thread and reply...

So there are at least 5 S2 6.8's in the Mansfield Ohio area now...and I think that's pretty cool!

May 25, 2010
S2 6.8 Exciter Niceville
And a 6th 6.8 (#129) owned by a guy that grew up a few miles away from Clearfork Lake, in Galion OH. I am talking less than 20 miles away. So that coincidence continues. Unfortunately I am much too far away for any one design racing. Unless you all want to trailer down to Northwest Florida.

Last edited:

rickyj

Jun 24, 2010
S2 11.0 Barbados
My hand is up. My wife and I bought a 1980 S2 11.0D about 4 years ago. Sailed it through the Grenadines 3 years ago around Easter. We're in Barbados.
I'm actually trying to find someone that can give me the dimensions of the hull so I can build a trailer for it.
Ricky

Nov 8, 2004
Cape Dory 30 Ketch Kemah, Texas
1980 8.5 S2 in Kemah Texas

Looking for other S2 owners - who's gonna raise their hands?
I purchased an S2 8.5 in November of 2010 for restoration project. I never heard of them before but everyone I talk to says they are good sailboats. I am sanding all the teak inside for fresh varnishing in the spring. I am also having to replace the pulley plate under the pedestal.
3/7/11 I finished sanding inside the boat now I am sanding all the teak pieces I took off the boat to make it easier to varnish. I still have to put new steering cables on and pull the engine. The previous owner left the head off and the cylinder wall is now pitted. Also had a diver clean the bottom and put new zincs. I will need the bottom refinished soon as I get the engine running.
8/28/11 I finished all the interior teak. I am now looking to replace the old head which I removed. The old head had a holding tank under it all in one but you could still pump out from the deck. I am not sure if I want to replace with same thing or drop in a holding tank. Has anyone had this done? I also had to replace the original YSM 8 as it was missing a head adn had been sitting for years. I am dropping in a rebuilt YSM12. If anyone is interested in the YSM 8 let me know. I was going to rebuild it but I wanted a little more power.
12/15/11 Had a good weather opening near 80 degrees to take her out for first sail in Kemah, TX. We had a few problems but everything worked fine except I forgot to silicon the main sail track. We could not get the main sail up. The engine ran good except I think there is an air leak in the fuel line or the fuel pump needs repair. The engine would speed up and slow down slightly. Also previous owner has the mast tricolor running lights and the deck lights wired together. I need to add another switch and separate them. I have a few deck leaks to fix and buff and polish the deck. I also need to put the engine room bulkhead back in and varnish. We will be ready for spring sailing!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.