S2 9.2A Rudder Problem? (And solution?)

Jan 26, 2020
S2 9.2A, Catalina 27, + Chesapeake Bay
Hi--New to the forum. I'm a Sea Scout Skipper and Fleet Manager for a Sea Scout Ship. We have a 1979 S2 9.2A that was donated to us in 2017. She's a beautiful boat that was well-maintained by her previous owner, and has served us well. We love the S2, and as her caretaker, I'm so glad to connect with fellow S2 owners since information about these boats is not as readily available as it is on our Catalina and other high-production boats.

I'm attaching a photo of the rudder on our vessel. (This photo was sent to me this week and I haven't been up to the boat to inspect, but am trying to gather information as I will head up there later this week.) It appears to be hanging a bit lower than designed--Yes? No? Problem? Looking for others' experience and knowledge. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I agree… looks like it needs to go up a few inches. Have you tried lifting it... a bottle jack on a solid platform would be handy for that.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Probably a thrust bearing that has slipped. Most likely accessible through the lazarette hatches.. As Joe says, ya probably can jack it a bit and then look at the bearing and relocate it then tighten it.. Might be good to have someone in the laz while ya wiggle it and lift it to make sure that the bearing and its support is OK too.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
@SafeSailor You might get a good response on the S2 Facebook page lots of 9.2 owners there and at least one Sea Scout Ship from Houston. https://www.facebook.com/groups/126678961966/
If it's anything like an 8.0C there is a 2X6 piece of lumber that runs athwart-ship just above the steering sector. Where it passes through this support there is a bushing and above that a pin that goes through the rudder stock. Just guessing the pin has come out and the rudder is being held in by the steering sector that is probably rubbing on the hull.

Jan 26, 2020
S2 9.2A, Catalina 27, + Chesapeake Bay
Thank you, all! This is all very helpful as I plan the weekend's work.