S2 8.5 Bilge Area Access

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
We will likely be sailing out of Narragansett Bay RI again this year. Current is not normally an issue except once or twice when going between Warwick Point and Patience Island which we've only experienced in our little Catalina 22'. The worst of it was dealing with the waves due to the size of the boat and we chose to stay away afterward unless we were sure we wouldn't be caught in that again. We originally chose the bay as our port because currents were not strong and we felt "safe" seeing the land masses around us (we're new sailors). Also, we travel from central Mass and the commute is not too bad to the Greenwich Bay area. The prop will be a good option if we feel uncomfortable with the performance but I'm starting to feel like the 8hp shouldn't be a deal breaker.

I agree that 30' would be ideal and my husband is 6'2". I found in general, the 30 footers we looked at didn't seem to be much different than the 28's there though. We looked at a 30' Cherubini and my husband still had to bend just a tad. (Catalinas had the head room though) I have to say, I'm hooked on this little S2 8.5. Everyone we talk to about it says it's a great boat and excellent sailor.

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Great News!

One other question, this boat has a small 8hp Yanmar. Bron, do you have that motor on your 8.5 and if so, is it under powered?

:):):):)

After all the worry, we saw the boat today and it has a 10 HP motor!! Very excited and just put an offer in....my husband loved it as I thought he would :)

Feb 22, 2012
S2 8.5 1983 Seattle
In my 8.5 I've mounted a dedicated pump along the starboard side of the engine space, near the fuel filter, with a suction hose running into the bilge where it is kept submerges by a weighted strainer. This has proven over the years to be trouble free, and effective. If a 1/2 of water sits down there it is of no concern. Engine space ventilation on these boats is good. Additionally, this seem infinitely more desirable to a submerged pump. I ran a dedicated wire to my breaker panel and use manual control only. The bilge can hold many gallons of water from whatever source, and this approach works! I can't imagine butchering the lovely sole these boats have, only to discover that there isn't really any bilge access under it anyway, it's all aft of the main salon.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I strongly suggest you get a survey. I used a guy from norton ma who had worked for cape dory. He is good and not overpriced. His first name is Peter, but I can't remember his last name at the moment. Alternately, I live in central ma too and would be happy to answer any questions I can. I first sailed on Narraganset bay back in the late 80's and it is lovely.

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
BobM said:
I strongly suggest you get a survey. I used a guy from norton ma who had worked for cape dory. He is good and not overpriced. His first name is Peter, but I can't remember his last name at the moment. Alternately, I live in central ma too and would be happy to answer any questions I can. I first sailed on Narraganset bay back in the late 80's and it is lovely.
We learned to sail in the Greenwich Bay area. Enjoyed almost every moment but there are some "mega" yachts who seemed to enjoy watching our little 22' struggle in their wake. It will be nice to have a bit more weight under us :)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
In general, S2's are very well made. The only thing I have run into, which could also be an issue for you with that 1cyl engine, is that the tabbing holding the engine stringers to the boat can be inadequate. On my boat, it was just a few tabs and two were free of the stringers. By tabs I mean sheets of thick woven roving bent at a 90 degree angle and glassed into place. Easy enough to fix, just glass them back into place, but small yanmars vibrate a lot so I would expect this to be a common issue.

I want to warn you not to be surprised by the noise a 1 cyl diesel will make. At low rpm it will sound like a man driving a railroad spike. This is completely normal.

You will likely find that your insurance company will insist on a survey anyway. You can get by with a low buck insurance survey, but for a bit more you can rest assured that you have a punch list of things you need to address in addition to a sound opinion that you aren't in love with a boat you should walk away from.

Peter saved me from one of those. Nice looking boat (79 Newport 30). Without a moisture meter and any experience I might of bought it. The whole deck was saturated and delaminated. He only charged me $150 for that survey, because we stopped midway and he didn't have to generate a report. That boat was offered for $10K and wasn't worth paying someone to repair and was beyond what I was willing to take on myself. The owner before the guy selling the boat had added a whole bunch of hardware on deck. Too bad he didn't bed it properly. The guy selling the boat had it a long time, but was oblivious to the need to rebed hardware.

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Thanks for the info on the noisy diesel and the stringers. I'll be sure the surveyor will be looking at the integrity of the stringers. My husband and I wouldn't buy a boat (especially an older boat) without a complete survey and will feel much more secure knowing all we can about the boat before purchase. I learned that the broker will actually hold back about $1k until the boat is put in the water and the surveyor returns to do a final inspection. Anything found (affecting boat integrity or sailability) that will cost over 300.00 will be covered by the 1k. LOVE THAT!

I checked out Peter's web site and appreciate the lead. As for rebedding hardware, I've checked out the article on Butyl tape on this site and like that idea. Has anyone you know or have you used it? I assume that will be necessary for us to take on at some point but we saw no signs of leaking during our inspection. Wet decks are a definite deal breaker! I hope we don't learn anything horrible like that!

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
Generosity,
I'm also in MA. And sail in Narragansett bay. Mt hope bay actually. Fall River Keep my boat at Borden light marina. (Great marina)I actually I live inNorton. I don't know Peter hunt. But will look him up in case I need a surveyor

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Generosity,
I'm also in MA. And sail in Narragansett bay. Mt hope bay actually. Fall River Keep my boat at Borden light marina. (Great marina)I actually I live inNorton. I don't know Peter hunt. But will look him up in case I need a surveyor
I've asked the Broker who is handling the sale/purchase of the S2 we're buying and he confirmed that Peter Hunt would be a good "fit" for us because we ask a lot of questions and he is happy to take the time to answer. He's knowledgeable and fair as well. I hope to call him soon :)

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Generosity,
We spend our time mainly around Greenwich Bay but with a bigger boat, we hope to get around more this season....we'll look for your Pearson if we get to the Mt. Hope Bay area :)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Butyl tape is the best. Used it to rebed my handrails last year. So easy to work with and cheap. One roll is almost a lifetime supply.

Nov 8, 2004
Cape Dory 30 Ketch Kemah, Texas
generosity said:
We've sold our Catalina 22' and are moving up to a 28-30'. I looked at an S2 8.5 and am considering having my husband look at it. The question I have is where is the bilge area access and where do you put the bilge pump?? The cabin sole in the salon has no opening hatch and I forgot to question the broker when I was there about it. I won't feel comfortable if the bilge is not easily accessible so can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!
I also have an s2 8.5 . I took some PVC pipe about 4' long and attached a 30 degree angle at the end. I then mounted my float valve there with zip ties. I then put it Ito the bilge and used two screws to secure this extension into the bilge. It is important to get the float valve centered as to not touch the bilge walls. I used a heat gun to bend and shape the PVC . I am also going to put in a bilge alarm. If you have more questions let me know. My system seems tone working well.