S2 8.5 Bilge Area Access

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
We've sold our Catalina 22' and are moving up to a 28-30'. I looked at an S2 8.5 and am considering having my husband look at it. The question I have is where is the bilge area access and where do you put the bilge pump?? The cabin sole in the salon has no opening hatch and I forgot to question the broker when I was there about it. I won't feel comfortable if the bilge is not easily accessible so can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you may have to look uner the motor box to find access to the bilge...i did and that is where it was ....i have sence cut a hole on the sole to have access from the salon as well

regards

woody

Attachments

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Thanks for the reply and the idea...the sole in the boat we are looking at is so beautifully finished, I would hate to ruin it. Was the bilge and pump hard for you to access when it was under the motor? Also, I wonder if water stays in the bilge or the pump is placed low enough to pump all the water if it's more aft.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Thanks for the reply and the idea...the sole in the boat we are looking at is so beautifully finished, I would hate to ruin it. Was the bilge and pump hard for you to access when it was under the motor? Also, I wonder if water stays in the bilge or the pump is placed low enough to pump all the water if it's more aft.
the pump was not that bad to get through via the engine compartment..i just didnt like the idea of haveing to open up the engine compartment everytime i wanted to ck the bilge...as for pumping all the water out i think maybe that is impossible as the pump sits up about 1/2 inch off the bottom of the bilge (due to the fact that the pump screen is that high) i am thinking that it may have to be sponged out some sort of way....i know the pic i posted looks rough but it is under work in progress and i intend to have it looking better by float day...

obtw my boat is bow heavy on the hard and that tells me that it will more than likley be that way in the water but for now only time will tell

regards

woody

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
S2 8.5 hasd several interior/companionway arrangements. My 1982 has a storage locker behid the companionway steps, just forward of the bulkhead separating the engine room from the main salon. On the floor of that locker, is a 6" x 6" panel that lifts out to give bilge access. The bilge is very deep (about 40 inches). Bilge pump(s) fit through the panel into the bilge. Hoses route under the bulkhead to the engine room and through-hulls.

I've heard some owners could not find the bilge access. I'd be suroprised if one didn't exist. Its so fundamental. Look for an access hole in the floor, just forward of the engine. If I find pics, I'll forward.

Good luck.

Bron Taoras
S2 8.5 #088
Rocky River, OH

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
First time attaching (hope it works)..... here is a photo of the companionway. I assume you were talking about one of the compartments on either side of the stairs. That would make things easier for sure.

Attachments

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Now I think I understand better. There is a big opening and easy access to the engine compartment in the aft quarter berth. I'll look for it somewhere on the floor under there but is it still possible that it's under the sink area?

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
No. Your companionway design is totally different from mine. However look in the cabinets under the sink and stove. My bilge access panel is in that location.

Picute of bilge is attached.

Attachments

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
If you see hoses coming out of the bilge into the engineroom, you'll know there is something down there. Yes, look in the cabinets under the companionway steps.

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Thanks to both of you for your input. Woody, I hope I get to see the finished product after all the improvements. I've heard many good things about the S2 and I hope this is the boat for us.

One other question, this boat has a small 8hp Yanmar. Bron, do you have that motor on your 8.5 and if so, is it under powered?

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Wow! Those pictures are great! Thanks Bron for the info....I'll be more educated when we view the boat.

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
Thanks for the link too. I see a little difference in the galley and settees in the 8.6 than the 8.5 that we are looking at. I actually like the layout in the 8.5 better. Otherwise, it seems to be very similar.

Bron

Apr 19, 2010
s2 8.5 rocky river
One other question, this boat has a small 8hp Yanmar. Bron, do you have that motor on your 8.5 and if so, is it under powered?[/quote]

Mine has a Yanmar 2GM - 13 or 15 hp. (2GM is a two cylinder.) Power with a 2GM is adequate. It pushes along in moderate seas at 5+ knots at about 3000 rpm. An 8 hp might be a bit underpowered. Would depend on how much motoring you do. You don't need much to get in and out of the dock. It's nice to have the extra hp when going any distance without sails.

Regards,

Bron

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
The motor may be the only reason we question this purchase. We had an 8.5 outboard on our little 22' lol (a bit over powered) We will not be "heavy hitters" when it comes to sailing but it is a secure feeling to have power when you need it.

Sep 6, 2011
generosity said:
The motor may be the only reason we question this purchase. We had an 8.5 outboard on our little 22' lol (a bit over powered) We will not be "heavy hitters" when it comes to sailing but it is a secure feeling to have power when you need it.
Take a look at the prop too. The prop can make a big difference on a possibly anemic engine. I'm guessing displacement to be in the 7500# range. I had an 8 hp outboard on my 24' boat weighing about that loaded and it was plenty adequate. The prop can make the difference. I would take it for a sea trial before purchase. SC

Swan

Jan 19, 2012
Hunter 31' Apponaug RI
I've heard the 3 blade props can add torque and I know it's a 2 blade prop on this boat. Is there a "good" 2 blade prop? I agree about the sea trial as well and I wonder what it would cost to replace the prop by the yard. I'll look into that.

Sep 6, 2011
generosity said:
I've heard the 3 blade props can add torque and I know it's a 2 blade prop on this boat. Is there a "good" 2 blade prop? I agree about the sea trial as well and I wonder what it would cost to replace the prop by the yard. I'll look into that.
Props aren't cheap especially if you go with something like a feathering prop. For my boat (11.0a) the prop is $2000-3000. Someone here who has your boat can advise much better but I wanted to mention the prop can be a major factor. My current prop is a giant 3 blade that looks like it belongs on a powerboat but does give us good forward performance under motor but hinders us under sail. I call it our drogue anchor. Fixed props have a lot of prop walk which is why I'm looking at feathering. If you like the boat and it's in good condition things like the prop can be changed down the road. The prop for us will be not this season but the following. Let us know what you decide. SC

Dec 8, 2011
S2 8.0 C Baltimore
Yanmar 8

Generosity,

I have a Yanmar ysm-8 iI feel is in good repair in my S2 8.0C (theoretical hull speed for my boat is about 6.2 kts compared to 6.36 for the 8.5) . She's a bit shorter than the boat you are considering and about a ton less in displacement. With my ysm-8 she'll do 5.5 kts on a clean bottom, in light air, and calm water while turning a 12X8 2-blade prop at 3/4 throttle. With "grass" on her bottom she'll be a knot slower and she'll show signs of overloading (soot in exhaust, bogged at full throttle) Switching over to a three blade with about same diameter but less pitch that I have lying around this spring, though I suspect I am at the limit for this engine. I don't view her to be a highly capable "to weather vessel" on her dead dinosaur burner. Plenty of power to maneuver around the marina for sure, but I am not enamored with progress in heavy chop and a good headwind.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
where do you sail?

I noticed you are in ma. Where do you plan to keep the boat? That would help us to advise you regarding the engine. For example, if you plan to keep it in Boston harbor you would have little trouble except Hull gut when the tide is turning. I am not familiar with it, but if newburyport is your home port the river / tide may be problematic. My 9.2a only has a 13hp and is about 10000 lbs. The only time I had any issue was coming through the Cape Cod Canal against the current, which was about 3 knots against us...the captain I hired to help me with my first coastal tripm read the wrong weeks tide chart.

The boat looks to be in nice shape, but I found that it just wasn't worth buying a boat less than thirty feet when I moved up from 25. Once the boat isn't trailerable it doesn't cost much more for the two additional feet and you gain standing head room throughout the cabin.

Not saying the 8.5/8.6 is a bad boat! Just that I am 6 feet tall and head room was/is important to me when boat shopping.

Last edited: