S2 8.0b Bilge Pump Rebild or replacement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2012
S2 8.0b Oak Point
I just committed to purchase a friends 8.0b and will be taking delivery this week. There is some work to be done and the first item on the list is the bilge pump. The pump does not function and he has disconnected the hose and uses a shop vac to pull water out of the bilge.

So my question are twofold. First, has anyone rebuilt or replaced the manual pump on and S2 8.0b? If so, what replacement pump? Did you find any resources to help rebuild it?

The second question is about replacing the bilge pump with an auto bilge pump. I know that the 8.0b does not have any way to access the bilge. Has anyone successfully created and access to add a bilge pump and float? Or has anyone found a working solution to use the existing hose along with some sort of pump?

The problem I see is that most bilge pumps require you to have water in the pump in order for it to prime. This is not going to work with the existing hose in the bilge setup.

Any suggestions or resources would be appreciated.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
I just committed to purchase a friends 8.0b and will be taking delivery this week. There is some work to be done and the first item on the list is the bilge pump. The pump does not function and he has disconnected the hose and uses a shop vac to pull water out of the bilge.

So my question are twofold. First, has anyone rebuilt or replaced the manual pump on and S2 8.0b? If so, what replacement pump? Did you find any resources to help rebuild it?

The second question is about replacing the bilge pump with an auto bilge pump. I know that the 8.0b does not have any way to access the bilge. Has anyone successfully created and access to add a bilge pump and float? Or has anyone found a working solution to use the existing hose along with some sort of pump?

The problem I see is that most bilge pumps require you to have water in the pump in order for it to prime. This is not going to work with the existing hose in the bilge setup.

Any suggestions or resources would be appreciated.
just get a replacement pump the brand is Bosworth.....and you may want to use new hose as well because the one you have is about 25 to 30 years old and has lost its flexability......you need to keep a manual pump on board as it is a CG requirement ......as for access to the bilge i cut a hatch opening in my cabin sole in order to do this.......

regards

woody

Apr 10, 2012
S2 8.0b Oak Point
BobM said:
They are easy to rebuild too. Even Waste Marine has the kit for $20. I didn't find the rebuild kits in the store here, but they sell the pump so please consider giving the store a call and asking if they can get it. They will usually beat or match competitors.

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/products/3213-service-kit-guzzler-hand-operated-diaphragm-pump.html
Thanks for the Information. It looked like a guzzler pump, but I was not sure. Can you tell me if it's a model 400 or model 500? My pump does not seem to have any stickers on it to tell me which it is. Have you done a rebuild? It looks like it should be an easy pump to rebuild.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
check the hose internal diameter...1 inch is a 400, 1.25 is a 450 and 1.5 is a 500. I haven't rebuild one, but have rebuilt a double diaphragm pump for pumping chemicals. You just need to remove a bunch of screws, change out the diaphragm and the the two flappers and you are good. Be advised that a manual pump isn't much use. You need to put an automatic pump on board, or preferably two...one small down low and the biggest you can afford above it. The small one (ala Don Casey) will be the working pump. It will live wet in the bilge and die about every five years. It will pump out your ice box melt water...shower water...etc...which end up in the bilge by design. The big expensive one will live the life of Riley above the fray, but it will live hopefully forever...waiting for a serious emergency...but you won't have to replace a $200 pump every five years.

As usual...I have purchased all the stuff to make this change to my boat...which currently has a 2000gph pump down low...but haven't gotten around to it. When picking out the big pump...keep in mind that they rate them with no head height and their actual ability to pump water up four or five feet significantly cuts their output. That's why I have a 2000....although it is almost certainly too small. The fact is that, for the most part an automatic bilge pump will save your boat from the type of small leak which might occur from poor maintenance...a leaky shaft log...a burst engine coolant hose...but is unlikely to save your boat from serious damage. It won't keep up to a hull puncture unless you can stick a cushion in it or somehow stop the leak. And the battery will drain to nothing in short order if the engine isn't running.

However, I encourage you to install a proper automatic bilge pump first, ignoring the even more useless manual pump. Most people use them to pump the small amount of extra water their automatic pump leaves in the bilge. Other then that you are far better served by a bucket than a 20gph manual pump. Think of how fast you would tire. Also, the shop vac concept has to go. An automatic bilge pump is not an option, but a requirement. It is your watchman to safeguard your boat when you are away. Get in the habit of manually cycling it every time you are aboard to verify operation and listen for the amount of water discharging out of the boat (you can hear it splashing). Most switches are three way (off, on, auto) switches for just such a reason. If you have one of the automatic pumps that tests for water by spinning/resistance, you can also train yourself to pay attention when it does so, to listen for the water. They are preferable in some ways because the number one thing to foul up otherwise is a float switch. They just mechanically fail or get something stuck in them...you get my drift. On the other hand, there will be a small battery drain from the resistance type. If your boat has the ability to charge the battery or if you install a small solar panel it will easily keep up with the drain as long as your boat isn't leaking!

I bought (but of course haven't installed) a switch that can sense the water level without moving parts. I still have a float switch now...which has been replaced once since I bought the boat along with the original pump. Both were dead soon after I got Triple Play and it was just expedient to do a like for like replacement...which I planned to change later (hence all the new, but dusty hardware sitting in my boat...I wonder how many other sailors ballast their boats with substantial quantities of yet to be installed hardware LOL).

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...toreId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Bilge-Pumps

Apr 10, 2012
S2 8.0b Oak Point
Bob, thanks for your input! I plan to add an automatic bilge pump, but I need to get something working until I can get to that project. The previous owner used a shop CAC to suck out the bilge and that is just not feasible for me even in the short term.

So all this leads me to the next question, which is how to install an auto bilge pump in an 8.0b. Without access to the bilge, this is going to be a pretty big undertaking. Has anyone else done this? If so, where did you put it?

Also, does anyone know where the bilge in the 8.0b is located? Clearly under the floor, but does it run right down the center? Where is the low point? I have some water damage to the wood floor just aft of the wall between the head and the main cabin. It seems like the wood there stays moist. I do not have any leaks from above and I suspect that the bilge is close to this spot under the floor. Can anyone confirm this?

If that is the case, it's a perfect spot to put an access to the bilge since I already have damage there. My other thought is to put an access in the base of the cabinet under the companionway. Any thoughts?

Someone else out there MUST have been through adding a bilge pump to an 8.0b.

Dec 2, 2011
S2 8.0B Heath, TX
I've pondered this question as well. The design of the boat really does not allow for installation of a proper automatic bilge pump. The only place you can put a "float switch" is directly forward of the engine, but at that point water will be flowing over your floor boards. When I purchased my 1979 8.0B, the manual bilge pump was broken. (It is a Gusher 500 model and was very simple to rebuild.) Anyhow, before I rebuilt it, I could see water all the way up to the top of the small access hole right forward of the motor. I used a large shop vac to suck it all out. Took me 27 three gallon trips to get it all out! 81 gallons at 8.3lb/gal is 672lbs!! Needless to say the boat was floating about 3 inches higher! So back to the design of the boat, the keel can hold a lot of water. It is a very narrow bilge area. The only way I can think of doing an automatic pump would be to rip out a large section of the floor and glass in a shelf for the float switch as far down the keel as you can get. That's a big job. I've searched for non-float-switch solutions, but have not found any.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Be creative

Many bilge pumps don't need a float switch. Also, get around the access/mounting issue like they did on my boat. There is a piece of 1x4 that is screwed at one end to the wood engine bed. It sticks down into the bilge and the wiring, float switch and pump are mounted to it. To service it, remove two screwed and pull it up. No sweat. And the access hole down't need to be very big.

Apr 10, 2012
S2 8.0b Oak Point
More detail please...

Many bilge pumps don't need a float switch. Also, get around the access/mounting issue like they did on my boat. There is a piece of 1x4 that is screwed at one end to the wood engine bed. It sticks down into the bilge and the wiring, float switch and pump are mounted to it. To service it, remove two screwed and pull it up. No sweat. And the access hole down't need to be very big.
Bob, this seems like a perfect solution, but I cannot seem to locate this 1x4. Was this already a pert of the boat or was it added to the boat for the bilge pump? (I presume it was added).

Going with the assumption that it was added and just attached to the engine bed, then where does it stick down to? My understanding is that the bilge is in the keel under the sole of the cabin. On my 8.0b there is a wall between the engine compartment and the cabin. (basically the back side of the cabinet that is under the companionway steps). Is there another bilge access that I am missing?

Thanks so much for your help. This has been a big concern and I wan to find a solution ASAP.

Also, I have purchased a bilge pump/live well pump that I am going to use for now to automate pumping via the old hose location. It takes a 1 1/8 inch hose which fits inside the existing hose. I get stuck at the turn where the hose turns to go through the wall forward of the engine, but I suspect that I can spin the hose in order to have it follow the groves from the old hose down into the bilge. I need a few hours to do this and will likely try this week. Wish me luck...

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: More detail please...

It was added. My bilge is under the engine so it mounts to the front of a piece of wood that crosses the two mounting beds (4x4's) engine projecting downward into the bilge.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
More information

Some information and photos would help a lot. I just can't find too much info on the 8.0B. However, if you have a swing keel, you won't have a significant bilge as I have in my fixed keel boat. If you have a fixed keel, access to the bilge is often hidden on smaller boats. What type of power does your boat have? Outboard, inboard or a saildrive?

It may through a hatch in the galley cabinet, for instance, or under a companionway tread (like on my old L25). It may not be a very large access port.

Photos would help too!

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.