S2 7.9 Daggerboard Lift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2008
S2 7.9 Alexandria, VA
We put my new (1985) 7.9 in the water on Saturday. I immediately noticed that lifting the daggerboard takes Herculean strength. Another 7.9 owner onboard said that it shouldn't be that difficult. What do I need to replace to make this lift job easier?

Cheers,
Bruce Baker
Falls Church, VA

Dec 1, 2008
S2 7.9 Alexandria, VA
p.s. I've been told that I need to replace the blocks (and possibly use a lighter line). How is access to the keel trunk gained? I don't see any access below. Is there a way to get inside from the deck?

Thanks again,
Bruce

Dec 1, 2008
S2 7.9 Alexandria, VA
p.p.s. My crew and I figured out how to gain access to the keel trunk. There are some panels on top with screws to remove. Once inside, I noted that the lift mechanism uses 4:1 mechanical advantage. I understand that some boats use 6:1. Also, the keel seems to be very tight inside the trunk. Maybe some kind of lubricant would help. I'm thinking of a teflon wax. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
Bruce

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
You might have better luck gettting an answer here http://www.sail79s.org/

Check the slot for obstructions and the daggerboard to see if it is just loaded with anti-fouling paint or saturated / delaminating. I am unsure of how it is constructed. Just my 2c.

BobM

Status
Not open for further replies.