S2 11A - Locked throttle and gear shift

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
Got the boat home at limited throttle. Took the pedestal apart and found both levers frozen in place. Shop person was able to press handles out of housing. When I put new bushing onto throttle shaft it would bind at 2/3rd's the. way. Took a metal straight edge and verified that the shaft has a slight bend.
Question: How can I take the bend out of a S/S shaft? Don't want to pound on it as it will flatten the shaft and then never go back into the bushing.
Thanks Hal

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Question: How can I take the bend out of a S/S shaft?
Do you have a hydraulic press, or even a drill press? You can put the shaft on V-blocks, or even just some kind of spacers, and press down on it, with the bend "up." (I have done this with a windlass axel.). Test by rolling it on a flat surface.

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
I thank you. It worked. I was looking for my wire wheel brass knock-off hammer. With your help I just may understand a little more mechanical. From pedestals to water tanks and more, it's a fun process. Thanks

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
I got the throttle shaft tweaked in line and after having buffed the ring and repainted it. Both levers installed and pedestal assembled. I broke the bakelite handle on the shift lever so i'm watching for a nice wood handle with a half inch hole. Now i'm going to feel safer being to actually power the boat. Thanks