S2 11.0A instrument placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
I have recently upgraded my instruments and chartplotter, and have been going back and forth on the best placement of the instruments. The chartplotter (Simrad NSS7) will be mounted at the helm.
Instruments:
Do not want to place them within the bulkhead. I have ran most the lines including main, jib and spinnaker halyards, outhaul, cunningham and one reef to the cabin and cockpit area.

Placing the (4) instruments at the helm along with my chartplotter would be, although convenient but also very cumbersome, at times. So I was thinking of building a teak instrument pod over the companionway, visible, even if I am not at the wheel.
Any thoughts and input?

Right now they are scattered throughout the helm area.

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
another thought

I had another thought of building two teak pods, mounted on the pedestal shelf bracket, one on each side. This would be lower and out of the way and within the helm area while the chartplotter would be higher and in front. Similar to what MainSail did to his CS36 (saw pictures online) but out of custom teak pods.

Patrick

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Re: another thought

I think that is a great idea. Mine are in the bulkhead and between the lines blocking the view and the occasional passenger blocking them it is not a great location.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
there is an artical in the May/June Good Old Boat that you may want to read as well.....

regards

woody

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I'm going through the same thing along with my engine escapades. Either way, you have to route wiring. How would you route wiring from over the companion way and stay unobtrusive looking? I'm putting an E7 at the helm which is still factory. I'll have to replace the pedestal guard and get a taller one to mount the plotter. I'll have to cut it down as I don't like the big monstrosities at eye level. Also my traveler is moved to over the companion way. Pedestal guard tubing is 1" which is interesting to route a bunch of wiring through. I did find a taller 1" one inch tube in both angled and offset. I'm going to put up with the original Datamarine instruments in the bulkhead as they all work and only need them occasionally. Next time I haul the boat I'll install a sonar xdcr which will display on the plotter. Check out the Navpods and Edson also makes pods etc. Keep us updated.....

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Bigger OD

I'm going through the same thing along with my engine escapades. Either way, you have to route wiring. How would you route wiring from over the companion way and stay unobtrusive looking? I'm putting an E7 at the helm which is still factory. I'll have to replace the pedestal guard and get a taller one to mount the plotter. I'll have to cut it down as I don't like the big monstrosities at eye level. Also my traveler is moved to over the companion way. Pedestal guard tubing is 1" which is interesting to route a bunch of wiring through. I did find a taller 1" one inch tube in both angled and offset. I'm going to put up with the original Datamarine instruments in the bulkhead as they all work and only need them occasionally. Next time I haul the boat I'll install a sonar xdcr which will display on the plotter. Check out the Navpods and Edson also makes pods etc. Keep us updated.....[/QUOTE

I saved money by buying a 1" OD compound bent guard, but did so knowing it would be a hassle and that I really wasn't going to run that much in the way of wiring (stereo control and color chartplotter for now, perhaps a ST70 multifuntion later). Most compound guards are 1 1/8" which gives you a bit more room. The beauty of the chartplotter is you get speed over ground (not that I really care how fast I am going daysailing) and depth from the chart. A depth sounder is good to have, but for the most part having the chart plotter will ensure I avoid trouble areas proactively. I have a speed instrument, but it usually works the first sail of the year and then gets fouled. I have never bothered to clean it mid season. If I upgrade, I will likely go Tacktick and avoid wires altogether.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Also...find a local machine shop to do the work on the guard beyond cutting (i.e. drilling and tapping). Drilling stainless tube is a pain and it is $50-75 well spent to get it done. Don't forget you need two holes at the bottom for the mounting screws in the feet...I did and had to make two trips to the machine shop.

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
The latest upgrade; I had a stainless steel guard made from a local fabricating shop. It costs about the same as if you purchased from a manufacturer but I had it custom made to fit what I wanted at the helm. It is 1 1/4" dia tubing, with a offset of 4" and with a total height of 54", not the typical 58" which I felt was slightly high. The tubing is not polish but looks nice in a stainless steel brush type of look. Mounted my Simrad NSS7 towards the top within the offset and is just above the wheel and very easy to access.
My instruments is still up in the air.
I am going through three options;
1. Placing them above the companionway; a difficult task but possible; building a teak navpod (which I have the lumber from a previous project) and using the previous guard tubing and cutting and modifying for the support.
2. One side of my companionway teak trim within the bulkhead looks like a dog chewed on it. I was thinking of replacing the 2" side companionway teak trim, increasing the port side width which has slightly more space then the starboard side as the companionway is offset. The trim would be 2 1/2" wide at the top and then a few inches down, I would increase to 5 1/2" and would be able to place all (4) instruments within the teak trim. This would be fairly easy, wiring would be much easier but I think it would be difficult to see if I have several people in the cockpit but then again, my system is a Simnet Network and most of the information on the instruments would also be displayed on my NS7 chartplotter.
3. Building or purchasing a navpod and placing it on the guard. This seems to be typical set up but I feel that I always need to know what's going on with the boat and weather, even if I'm not at the helm. With this set up, only person would know the depth, speed, wind speed, direction and heading would be the person at the helm.

Any thoughts?

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
Mark: thought about putting them on the mast but thinking that the above the companionway is about the farthest that I would went them and the boomvang always be in the way while at closed haul or anything close to that.
Yes, already purchased Simrad instruments.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I guess I would just sail for awhile both "yourself" and with crew aboard keeping in mind the possible locations for instruments. The companion way looks interesting and if you do that I'm not sure how you'd run wires unobtrusively. I like to keep things uncluttered and the admiral has a lot to say there..... Also, keep in mind your plans for moving the traveler and not sure if you have a dodger or not. Necessity in PNW....So, keep in mind all possible future upgrades for an area before ya start drillin......I'll be interested in what you come up with....

PS.. I just put a plotter at the helm above the compass. Only useable at the helm but that's a trade I made as I didn't want something that takes up a lot of cockpit volumnmetric space. And it will spend most of it's time turned off....I was able to find a 1" OD tube with the 9.5" spacing and cut it down in height so I didn't have to anything to the feet/top plate etc..I spent a lot of time thinking about it and discussing it with others and "noticing" other boats installations.

Sep 6, 2011
I'm late to the thread but thought I'd share what a PO did on our 11.0a. The instruments wind, speed and depth are mounted down on the starboard side of the cockpit above the cockpit wash down. (not same surface) I can grab a pic if anyone is interested. Plotter is on the pedestal. The wiring for the instruments is accessible and hidden. Only problem I had was wearing polarized sunglasses but I think that would be the case anywhere. SC

Sep 6, 2011
Hey SC... I'd be interested in the pix. Sounds interesting.
Marking sorry been offline with family needs. I will see if I have any otherwise it will need to wait a bit for our big snowstorm to come through and leave. I will look and see if I have any in my existing pics too.
SC

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Just a thought about above the companionway. Would it interfere with a existing/future dodger? I think at the helm with just one multi-function display would not be too obtrusive, perhaps with a repeater in the bulkhead as I already have holes from existing instruments.

Sep 6, 2011
Hey SC... I'd be interested in the pix. Sounds interesting.
Mark this will take a little imagination but this is the best I have at the moment. The boat is loaded with snow right now and I don't go up ladders unless I have to. Here is a pic where you can see the instruments. One PO ran the wiring down a side of the small storage area via the hatch at the end of the quarter berth.

The top row of instruments has 3 and one below. I have yet to figure out why one of the top 3 wasn't repurposed.

Hope this helps! This pic was a marketing photo when the boat was for sale.

image-3473056146.jpg

Dec 6, 2011
S2 11.0 A CT, Long Island Sound
Reply re instruments

Just a thought about above the companionway. Would it interfere with a existing/future dodger? I think at the helm with just one multi-function display would not be too obtrusive, perhaps with a repeater in the bulkhead as I already have holes from existing instruments.
Hello, I might be answering something already answered. however we put beautiful new instruments Into our s2 11.0A --1981.

We had a new, higher stainless guard installed at the helm, designed for mounting a Raymarine navpod and instruments. So we have the chart plotter the instruments and the autopilot now built in well-controlled from the same Navpod.
Also a wonderful addition was a remote radio handset, installed at the Navpod.

We took the hole/ opening from the removal of the Combi unit on the bulkhead and turned it into a wonderful opening/ closing Portlight! It's excellent for air circulation and light.

Many improvements these past 3 years.
Can look for last years photos if you want,
I'm not sure how to post them. "Psyche" still in the shed
The instruments provided a wonderful improvement.

Now at boat yard in the middle of an awl grip paint job. We did some deck
Work and replaced chainplate knees this year.
That will be a secure and shiny new feeling, but not as fun a job as the
Instruments!

Psyche
Westport11

Sep 6, 2011
Westport are you posting from a mobile device (phone or tablet) or a computer? I'm always interested to see what others have done.

On our boat the original instruments location has a plug on the outside with a box covering the inside. I like the port idea.
SC

Status
Not open for further replies.