S 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
This is for the rudder angle sensor arm connection to the rudder post?
What are the blue and Black lines about?
Tom

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Blue....RPS rudder position sensor.

Black...RPS mount.

paulj :troll:

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have a line on the S1 for $700 what do you think?
Tom
That's a STEAL!!! Snap it up before they're gone!!

Check with Dave Groshong here as they may be able to compete with that price and you'd be supporting the forum! They had the BEST price anywhere on the planet when I bought my new PHII head..

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Witzend
Maine Sail is a young skinny guy so he can use the aft access door on the starboard side...nothing wrong with his design.

I'm a fat old man and I tried that access door.....my elbows are still sore.

Bracket
I will use hose clamps to hold the bracket to the shaft for installation purposes.

There are so many options depending your tools and attachment devices that you are fimilar with.

You could leave clamps and install two set screws in bracket to shaft
I plan on drilling and taping 10-32 threads in shaft and using bolts to secure bracket to shaft.

I plan on installing the RPS on the port side.

Finished RPS mount using 3/4" marine plywood...fits better than I thought.
Will use RTV to secure bracket to fiberglass.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Paulj,
I appreciate the challenges the less flexible members of our community face in executing home engineered installations of this nature, especially when it involves tapping #10 screws into stainless, go slow with the tap or it will gall and break on ya. All stainless hose clamps will work just fine for me when my time comes for sore elbows, providing easy adjustment if necessary. I will be looking forward to seeing the wonderful pictures I know you will provide us all of your toils.
Cheers,
Tom
P.S Hodges has them for a buck more.
http://www.hodgesmarine.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=s1+wheel&Search.x=6&Search.y=8
These guys are getting pretty hungry.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
I've got the overall wiring diagram roughed out.
Now I'm looking for a location for the computer.
Here is two possibilities...

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I like the idea of keeping it close to the drive motor that way the voltage drop due to excessive cable length will be minimized. Remember Ohms law, as E drops I increases.
This will keep the motor happy. Use a heaver gauge #16 or less, (the largest will fit in the terminals) to power the computer. I may put mine in the lazarette.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Remember Ohms law, as E drops I increases.

I also remember if you use existing cable lengths you don't need to use Ohms Law.

Run those wires from the Com/Nav circut breaker switch on the AC-DC panel to the computer. Now you can use the Ohms thingy.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
The idea is to keep the voltage high. The longer the wire the lower the voltage. This is why they gave you a very short power wire to bring power to the Course Computer. By placing the Course Computer where you plan you will need to replace the power wires with longer ones. Use heavy gauge wire here! Then shorten the wire going to the motor that will keep the voltage up. The length of the wires provided by Raymarine for power transmission is for mounting the Course Computer near the power source. Your plan appears to mount the unit elsewhere.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Well that will do ya! Normaly they don't use romex for 12v, but it will sure keep the E up!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Speaking of wiring, I'm concerned about drilling new holes for the mounting of the new GP1040 Pod and trying not to nick the existing wire in the tube. Hopefully it will be like yours and have all the wires run in on tube. That will leave the other side clear for drilling and running the new wires. There is still the matter of drilling the mounting holes for the pod on the occupied side? I know, put on one of those drill depth stops on the bit, that will help.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Before drillng and taping for screws...... Pull the wires out and leave runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.