rusty keel bolts Precision 23

Nov 25, 2020
Beneteau First 235 Port Salerno
Hello,
I am considering purchasing a 1988 P-23. Upon my initial inspection of the vessel I noticed that the keel bolts were rusty. The sole around the bolts seemed solid.
How much of a concern is this?
Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time.

YankeeViking
PXL_20231222_152056958.jpg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Are you certain these are keel bolts? They look much too small and are too close to each other. What is the large metal thing? It looks like it opens up.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Hello, I am considering purchasing a 1988 Precision-23. Upon my initial inspection of the vessel I noticed that the keel bolts were rusty. The sole around the bolts seemed solid. How much of a concern is this? Any suggestions? Thank you for your time. YankeeViking
View attachment 222150

Those do not look like keel bolts to me. But I'd need a photo showing more of where they are located.

dj

Nov 12, 2009
J/ 32 NCYC, Western Lake Erie
Are you certain these are keel bolts? They look much too small and are too close to each other. What is the large metal thing? It looks like it opens up.
The two rusty bolts hold the centerboard pivot bracket. The bracket is a stainless steel weldment that holds a stainless steel rod that goes through the top of the centerboard. Since the boat is a 1988 I suspect the bracket is original, and is suspect at this point. We have friends with a similar age P-23 whose bracket broke as they were leaving the dock. The centerboard fell out of the boat but was still attached with the centerboard lift line so they were able to retrieve it. New brackets were available from Precision Boat Works a few years ago so I would Google them and see if you can still buy a replacement. You will need a boat lift or some way to suspend the boat high enough to lower the board. Once the new bracket and board are installed the excess threaded rods are cut off flush and plastic caps cover things up.

The big metal thing is a cover for the socket where a tube goes to hold a nice table.

Nov 25, 2020
Dlochner,
Thanks for the reply.
After posting this I did a little research. Those bolts go-to the centerboard holding bracket which is inside the keel.
Precision has a replacement part for it.
The "hatch/opening"you see is for the salon table pedestal.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
@Sailor Sue hit the nail on the head. My Starwind 19 (same designer as most of the Precision boats) had this same configuration. I forgot to pull up the centerboard the first time I loaded it back onto the trailer. As a result the tip of the centerboard snapped off.

If you decide to buy and fix this issue you'll need to find a way to support the boat high enough to get the centerboard out. You will be putting your head and neck under the centerboard trunk to complete this work so make sure it's stable. I'd suggest asking a yard to lift it. The most difficult part of this job is getting the bolts of the bracket lined up and inserted into the boat from the bottom. Rumor has it that the brackets come with much longer threaded rods that is cut down after installation at the factory. Either way, it's an hour or two of cursing to whomever is helping you inside the bolt. Speaker phone may help save your relationship with that person. The below guide mentions to use tape. I suggest leaving the tape on the centerboard bracket and pin instead of removing it. Take good notes of how the pendant (rope) is attached to the centerboard. I never quite got mine right but then again I had no idea how it was supposed to attach. You can use 5200 (often referred to as devil's snot as it's a permanent bond), 4200 or Loctite Marine sealant (a proven 4200 knockoff).

Here's the link to some instructions: Precision Boat Works

However, it looks like the nuts for the bracket may have been cut off. I'd send Precision an email with pics. They no longer make boats but they still sell parts

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
@Sailor Sue hit the nail on the head. My Starwind 19 (same designer as most of the Precision boats) had this same configuration. I forgot to pull up the centerboard the first time I loaded it back onto the trailer. As a result the tip of the centerboard snapped off.

If you decide to buy and fix this issue you'll need to find a way to support the boat high enough to get the centerboard out. You will be putting your head and neck under the centerboard trunk to complete this work so make sure it's stable. I'd suggest asking a yard to lift it. The most difficult part of this job is getting the bolts of the bracket lined up and inserted into the boat from the bottom. Rumor has it that the brackets come with much longer threaded rods that is cut down after installation at the factory. Either way, it's an hour or two of cursing to whomever is helping you inside the bolt. Speaker phone may help save your relationship with that person. The below guide mentions to use tape. I suggest leaving the tape on the centerboard bracket and pin instead of removing it. Take good notes of how the pendant (rope) is attached to the centerboard. I never quite got mine right but then again I had no idea how it was supposed to attach. You can use 5200 (often referred to as devil's snot as it's a permanent bond), 4200 or Loctite Marine sealant (a proven 4200 knockoff).

Here's the link to some instructions: Precision Boat Works

However, it looks like the nuts for the bracket may have been cut off. I'd send Precision an email with pics. They no longer make boats but they still sell parts
Funny you mention that. The first time I launched my 19, I forgot to tie my board up and for the life of me couldn't figure out why it wouldn't come off the trailer.... the board was hung on a trailer crossmember! I was used to having a swing keel winch!

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I found that the trick to getting it off the trailer when the c/b is hung up is to turn the entire boat around. We tried completely submerging the trailer into the water with no luck. We unknowingly snapped the centerboard on its maiden sail, had a hell of a time launching it the second time and fixed it afterwards

Oct 11, 2023
Precision 21 Barnaget bay
I have 2003 p21 and have replaced the bracket and center board on trailer,the bracket is available on precision site got anew one last month to change out old one in the spring. center board may not be available anymore, the rusted fasteners could de from standing rain water from leaking deck fittings precision web page has instructions on how to replace bracket and board

Nov 25, 2020
Thank you all for your input and recommendations, very helpful!
I think this is definitely a project boat, that needs restoration work before I can sail her safely.
Initially inexpensive to buy, but will very quickly become a B.O.A.T. plus! LOL

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thank you all for your input and recommendations, very helpful!
I think this is definitely a project boat, that needs restoration work before I can sail her safely.
Initially inexpensive to buy, but will very quickly become a B.O.A.T. plus! LOL
The most expensive boat you will ever buy is a free one. ;)