Rusted Leaf Spring Trailer....Replace with Bolt on Torsion Axle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2009
Macgregor 26X Galveston Tx
Hi ya'll I just bought a Mac 26x down in Texas...I have not seen the boat, but trust me the deal is that sweet. Everything from the leaf springs down (stock mac trailer) needs to be replaced. I was thinking of cutting the leaf springs with a torch....dropping the whole assembly and bolting on a Torsion axle kit. I dont have but 4hrs to do this and will need to have everything there and get out quickly for the long ride home. Whattaya think? Is this Torsion axle the easiest way to go? Where should I obtain one? Is there a universal bolt on kit that will save me?
Thanks-Jason Bailey Colorado

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
I don't have an answer to your question but I do have a funny/scary story for you about my cross country trek towing my first sailboat (a Cal 20) which started out in Fairplay, CO, not far from you. I bought the boat in Frisco and learned to sail her on Lake Dillon. I only sailed there for a year and decided to move to Minneapolis and slip the boat on Lake Superior. I knew very little about boats and trailers at the time and thought that since it made it over Hoosier Pass that it was plenty road worthy. WRONG. I made it to within 5 miles of Bailey when the leaf spring broke. I was towing it with a 30 ft. moving van and couldn't see nor feel a thing back there. Thankfully, my buddy was following me in my truck and we had walkie-talkies. He yelled to me to pull over because sparks were flying all over the place. We thought we'd just blown a tire so we tried jacking the thing up with the jack that came with my truck (personal, not rental) but it was not near big enough. We left the moving van and boat precariously on the edge of the road in search of a bigger jack. The hardware store in Bailey had a high lift jack so within 20 minutes, we were back at the boat ready to pull the tire and find someone to fix it. Just as the wheel left the ground while jacking it up, it became obvious what the real problem was, the leaf spring was broken in half. We removed the parts and threw the wheel in my truck and headed out in search of a fix. We ended up in Denver waiting for a custom leaf spring to be made. We dropped the broken spring off and the guy said come back at 11 the next day for the new one. SWEET! Only 17 hours lost. We were back at 11 and on the road back toward Bailey by 11:30. Had the tire fixed on the way and everything back in place by 2:30pm.
Now we were making progress toward Minneapolis...until we hit the ramp going from I-70 to I-76, moving at 60mph. That's when I heard my buddy scraming over the radio to pull over! There was barely enough room to get out of the way of the traffic, and no room to open the drivers side door without it being ripped off from the cars flying by. I got out the passenger side and got back to the boat when my jaw dropped to the ground. The tongue completely sheared off leaving the coupler still attached to the ball and the rest of the tongue dragging on the ground. The only thing keeping us together was the seriously undersized chain. I was dumbfounded that I didn't kill someone or destroy the boat. To make a long story short, my buddy found a phonebook and tore out the mobile welders page and within 45 minutes, had a guy on site adding a ton of metal to the tongue to beef it up. An hour and a half after the "incident" we were back on our way. We made it to Minneapolis the next morning without any more trauma. I still think we were lucky that it didn't happen in the middle of Nebraska somewhere where help could have been hours away.

Timo42

Mar 26, 2007
Venture 22 Marina del Rey
Probably cheaper and safer to load the whole mess on a flatbed and repair it properly at a shop or at home. my 2c

Aug 2, 2005
pearson ariel grand rapids
The torsion axles are good, but don't always work on trailers not designed for them.
If the trailer has a V in the crossbars, the torsion axle may sit high enough to interfere with the boat or trailer itself. the axle itself normally sits ahead of the wheel, often right at a crossbar on trailers designed for leafs.

May be able to get around it by using a lift block between trailer and axle.

Fastest way would be to replace with a duplicate of what's there. If you know anyone in the area, see if you can have them take measurements etc, or ask the seller to do it.

Swapping axles is a pretty easy job, but if you have to start getting creative on mounting you often lose the speed advantage.

Ken.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
After the tongue broke, I almost hung a free sign on the whole thing and drove away. My second thought was that I'd have to get a flatbed to tow it away, but the welder did a great job and it traveled the remaining 1000 miles fine and then another 220 from Minneapolis to Bayfield, Wisconsin, then back to Minneapolis. I no longer have that boat , thank god. The whole thing only cost about $325.00. $115 for the leaf spring, $150 for the welder and $60 for the new tire. I even made it back in time to get the U-Haul back without having to extend my rental. I thought it was going to cost an arm and a leg considering the welder could have charged anything he wanted since there was not much time to get a second opinion. He was done before the cops even showed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.