rusted keel bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
i have a 1977 catalina 27 lead keel.the keel bolts and nuts are too rusted to put new nuts and washers on,but the keel is tight with no smile.the boat is not worth paying someone to put more bolts in.i thought of putting lag bolts in,but i know they could pull out or loosen if i run aground.im thinking of trying concrete anchor bolts,the wedge type.they drive in smooth but when the nut is put on and u start tightening, the bottom is made to mushroom,wedging the bolt.has anyone ever heard of using them?any info will be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
There's a kit available for your concern.... go to Catalinadirect.com

Feb 26, 2009
Oday 30 Anchor Yacht Club, Bristol PA
"the boat is not worth paying someone to put more bolts in.i thought of putting lag bolts in,but i know they could pull out or loosen if i run aground." :eek:

What is the life of your family, friends, guest or yourself worth? :cussing:

FIX IT RIGHT!

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello blackjohn,

We did the repair you might use on our Catalina 27 many years ago. The boat has been sold and surveyed two or three times since the repair without undue concern by buyer, seller, or surveyor. Check with Catalina. The person I talked to was helpful, explained the process, and sent the ss lag screws for the job. I think they included a drawing to show recommended locations for the lags. This is a good project for asking help from your sailing buddies who do not own a boat and enjoy sailing with you.

As I remember the drilling for the lags was the difficult part. Heavy duty drill needed. LONG bits to reach into the bilge and deep into the keel. Extension for the ratchet and socket. PATIENCE is the prime requirement. Our job required an 8 hour day, but I'll admit that included driving to the hardware store several times for bits. The bits loaded frequently with lead and had to be reversed to remove them from the keel. I also remember places in the keel where the solid lead "curly" material coming out of the bit changed to a grit. That was disconcerting, but I had no way to know what I would find.

Also, after the first bit of fiberglass was drilled through in the bilge we found wood that appeared to be yellow pine or something similar.....bright yellow color and sap. I don't remember whether we used a lubricant on the lags, but I do remember twisting them in a bit then back out to clean the threads as they cut into the solid part of the lead. There was no such thing as just cranking the lags in with brute force. We also used ss fender washers in the bilge and put sealant in the top of the drill hole and under the washer.

Best Wishes, Phil

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
If there is not a problem with the keel joint, why do all that? Sure the bolts are rusty, but as of now they seem to be holding quite well and may do so for years to come.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
On second thought, if you are concerned, bring in a surveyor to look.

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
I would be of the opine that if you cant even get a nut back on its gone a BIT to far to call safe and needs to fixed or cut up for scrap

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
if i didnt have a family,i wouldnt even worry about it.the keel would prob stay on for many years.i just know that if it did come off unexpectedly my wife and son may drown.i hear the boat rolls over instantly.thats what happened to the 2 sailors racing in san francisco bay recently.anyway the boat is on the hard now,i just rebuilt the atomic 4.painted the bottom and painting the inside.thanks phil for the advice on lag bolts.im going to put some in before it goes back in the water.i need to mentally prepare myself for the job,seems a daunting task.thanks everyone

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
phil,do u remember what kind of drill was used.someone told me i needed a drill press.i was going to try my 3/8 dewalt.will it work?

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
If you have

Rebuilt the engine, and painted everything, I don't think the lag bolts will be a major task for you.

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
joe,catalina direct wants $279 for the kit.its just a few 316 ss lag bolts and a bit.im going to shop around.thanks though

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
thats true

Rebuilt the engine, and painted everything, I don't think the lag bolts will be a major task for you.
what scared me was the 8 hr day phil mentioned lol,i havnt put in one of those on the boat yet.i do an hr here and there

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
what scared me was the 8 hr day phil mentioned lol,i havnt put in one of those on the boat yet.i do an hr here and there
if you plan ahead by haveing all the hardware and tools prior to going on board.....and have a mental plan of the task at hand you will find that it will not be as long as you think ...have a good helper along with you for the running up and down if needed while you do the work at hand...i find that if i have a dreaded task its better to do this and get it over with and on to the more fun projects......and i have no doubt that you can do this based on what you have already completed.....so pump your self up and "getter done":D....

regards

woody

ps where in mobil are you i come there from time to time

Aug 29, 2011
Catalina 27 mobile
allen,ill try to get a pic of the bolts tomorrow,i need to raise the bow a little more.the bilge has sluge and water,also my bilge pump wont suck up all the water it leaves about 1/2 in.ill heve to towell it out

Status
Not open for further replies.