TDub

Jul 26, 2015
Irwin 37 CC MKV Wilmington
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello all, I have been a member for a little while and an Irwin owner for a little while.
Bought a 1982, 37ft CC MKV ketch in early July. I am currently replacing the steel beam in the bilge that supports the compression post, the post and mast step, surprise! The steel beam was rusted to a fraction of it's original thickness. The post and step are rotten, turning to powder. I am having all these things fabricated.
My inquiry is regarding chainplates. Appears they are not visible for inspection on this boat. I have read that some must be X-Rayd and that doesn't seem possible here in Wilmington NC, maybe it is?
I am worried about the condition of the chainplates. So if anybody does have relevant experience and/or knowledge about chainplates on this model I would be most grateful.
I did not intend to be the savior of this boat but that is the situation I find myself in. I have pics, not sure how to attach, will try. Thanks

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Ah, I think the support for the compression post while living in the bilge is at a lot more risk for rust than the chainplates. So I don't see a relation between the two other than the boat is aging.
Regarding the X-ray inspection I have seen that advocated but it seems like overkill to me and not an assurance of integrity of the chain plates. I don't think they are X-Rayed in place on the boat in any circumstance, so if you remove them it's probably better to replace them and save the expense of the X-ray exam.
There are much more expert opinions than mine on this forum so stay tuned.

TDub

Jul 26, 2015
Thanks SH, I did read an article with pics and they did X-ray through the hull with portable unit.I plan to sail away without removing the chainplates. However not being able to inspect them gives me a sick to the stomach feeling when I think of them failing. I have been looking at all the forums and I am certain all these boats had/have the comp post issue. I have not found any chainplate issue info. I am curious as to the method they used to hold chainplates. No visible hardware? Thanks again

TDub

Jul 26, 2015
I am also puzzled by the engineering of the comp post. The hole in the deck seems like a bad idea and the fact that the post support (step?) is bolted to stringers rather than continuing to keel. Any engineering advice regarding whether I should/shouldn't support the compression post from the keel would be nice. I am considering a laminated wooden block under the steel beam.