Running wires inside pedestal guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
We have a 1988 Catalina 30 MKII. I am adding a new Navpod and want to run the radar cables, transducer leads, GPS leads, etc. up through the pedestal guard tubes. However, I'm not sure that can be done without drilling a hole that would go through into the overhead of the quarter berth. Has anyone done this successfully? If so, how did you route your wires? The wires for my original (okay antique) instruments enter the pedestal itself (not the guard) via the box containing the steering radial. Although I can do that, I would prefer to have the leads run up the pedestal guard instead of inside the pedestal where they could possibly foul the steering cables and wires. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have an 1-1/4 inch angle guard with plenty of room for the leads ... just not sure how to get into it to get started. Gary Kunkel Visalia, CA

L

lyca@shaw.ca

No problem

Gary, I also have an 88 30 MKII and have recently run a GPS cable down the pedistal guard. Use a variable speed drill on a very slow speed to drill hole in stainless. Once drilled unscrew pedistal guard feet, slie guard up and drill hole for cable. Run cable and sikaflex hole around cable hole and under feet. (I remove cable connectors to run cable and reconect inside boat. Running inside is at your discretion. I ran mine back to stern across then along starboard ledge to panel. Its a piece of cake. PS I'm the guy who you helped a couple of years ago with a sticky rudder by sending me your detailed how to fix it instructions. Thanks again. Good luck with your current project. Allan

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 30 MKII Channel Islands Harbor, CA
Thank You all

Thanks everyone for the great info. It will be nice to have my radar in a Navpod instead of the somewhat "jury-rigged" thing I do now. Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.